67

Caroline's POV

"No Stefan and Nancy?" I heard Ashley ask as she appeared beside me her little boy on her hip. I was busy handing out little paper plates to all of Lizzie and Josie's toddler classmates so they could pick at the Buffett food on Grannie's counter.

"No." I sighed sadly, glancing towards the door as if I was expecting them to just materialise there. "They'll be here." She soothed me with a supportive hand on my shoulder and her usual cheerful smile. "God I hope so." I replied and she laughed.

"They'll be here because if they don't, you'll kill them." She added and I chuckled again. But the worry was setting in now, so my laugh was empty.

I watched as she walked away then my eyes settled on Henry and Ric over by the drinks table. Ric made eye contact with me and for a moment I saw a flash of something, was it worry to match my own?

It was nearing quarter past seven and according to Ric, they promised to be no later then seven. They'd lied.

I sighed once again, shaking my head and preparing myself; this would not ruin my daughters' birthday.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Third person- with Killian and Emma.

Killian had been replaying this moment all day in his head. The endless possibilities of endings that could spring from this moment were overflowing in the ocean of his mind.

As a pirate he was horribly inarticulate when it came to his feelings, despite all the self-coaching. All of this lead up felt wrong.

He hasn't spoken to Henry, nor David, nor even Nancy.

So when he was stood on that dock, the ring box in his pocket against his leg. He froze.

Then it hit him.

This wasn't the right time. But it was definitely the right thing because he was willing to wait for Emma if it meant doing this the right way. Proposing the right way.

-.-.-.-

Damon's POV

Off course Stefan had knocked me out and tied my ass to a chair, just to call in the big guns cause he's to weak to handle me at my worst. This was my worst. The blood thirsty, evil, dark, vengeful and cruel side of myself that cared for no one and nothing precious. This was the true Damon. Not the doe eyed boy from 1863, this was my true nature. The nature Nancy always told me she accepted, and she did. But still, she controlled it. She handled the fall out I caused when I let this darkness free and now she was being pulled in again.

I didn't care in that moment, because a part of me was always switched off when it came to Nancy. One emotion always seemed to be dulled around her, and that was my passion.

As I started up at her through my bruised eyes and glistening cold sweat she looked down on me with the same look she always did.

Acceptance.

Never worry or disappointment, distain or hate. Just acceptance.

She knew me better then anyone and that's why seeing her did this to me more. It dulled the pain more.

Because that deep dark, turned off part of myself that emerged every time I flipped my switch was only ever in full control of one thing. My love for Nancy. And that part of me refused to ever let it out again.

She didn't deserve to see this, see me like this.

"So Stefan called in his re-enforcements then." I snarled at her and she rolled her eyes, her arms crossed against her chest that looked dangerous and sexy as always in her low cut pirates's vest, corset and skirt.

"Really Damon? What? The day drinking not enough? I expected to be dragging your ass to the girl's party half-drunk, not bastard levels of emotionally destitute." She spat at me, her anger now bubbling over.

And still I felt nothing.

It was nice feeling nothing. Because had my switch been on, I would ah e been crushed.

"They're three, they won't remember you not being there." I drawled and she gave a sigh looking at my withdrawn brother in the corner of the room. "You know breaking and entering into my home is a crime- And I happen to know the sheriff."

"You're the biggest asshole I've ever met." She glared at me.
"Why thank you Miss Jones." I sneered back. "Grow up Damon! Why the fuck did you turn it off? You're being pathetic!"

"I don't care Nancy, I don't care about anything any more and I love it."
"You know what, I'm not dealing with this. This." She motioned between herself and I, "this is over.....call someone else next time Stefan.....he's beyond my help."

"You just want to leave him here and bleed him out?" Stefan asked Nancy searching her face for any form of resignation, but there was none as she paced the length of the living room she once co-owned with me. "That's what we have to do.....bleed him out and deal with him later- once we snap him out of this we do a major intervention......it's how it works Stef." She snapped at him reflexively without caring how upset he would be- not that I cared either.

"My dad and Emma aren't going to the party so we can ask them to check in after their date." She shrugged and he nodded slowly. "We can't let hurricane Damon destroy yet another precious moment for us Stefan......I won't let him do that to me again."

"Hurricane Damon? Is that what I am?"
"SHUT UP!" They boy screamed at me.

"Come on then, get your jacket." My brother finally sighed and she complied, triumphantly grabbing her (my) leather jacket off of the hook by the stairs and shooting one last look dirty at me. Tied to a metal chair with vervain ropes a blood bag and bucket at my side.

And then the pair of them just walked away.

And I realised in that moment.

This is what was gonna happen if I kept destroying everything and everyone I touched.

I'd end up alone and abandoned. A monster.