54

Nancy Jones had always loved the stars

Nancy Jones had always loved the stars. Stars were the one constant in her life of travel and turmoil. All that heartbreak, pain and disappointment slipped away when she gazed up at the vast, sprawling cosmos beyond and let herself breath.

It was a comfort. An escape. From all the pain and loss that plagued her every waking moment. And even her dreams.

Lying there under the canopy of dying lights calmed her soul and soothed her heart and mind. She wasn't lost, abandoned, lonely or heartbroken in that moment. She was free. Free and calm and in one place.

Nancy had lost a lot in her lifetime. She had been a abandoned countless times. She had been lonely, crippling so. And she had been heartbroken more times then she cared to admit. Broken by her mother's 'death', her uncle's death, her father's abandonment, Kol's abandonment. The torture she faced in Augustine and the torture she faced in watching Damon and Stefan writhe under Katherine's spell.

She had been broken. But the one pain she felt harder then any other was the heartbreak she felt when she realised Damon Salvatore wasn't actually in love with her.

Yes he might have convinced himself he was, she thought, but she now knew he wasn't. She had been a comforting fling until the better option was made available again.

Elena was his soulmate right? And who could dispute soulmates? Living in a town that was living, breathing proof of real life true love. The product of which was now dating Nancy's own father.

The loss of people in her life had put it's own curse on Nancy, more powerful then any she had seen before. Friends, family, loves......all of those losses- bigger or smaller- stuck with her through everything. She had been chipped and no amount of magic could fix this little tea cup.

There had been countless times that she had thought she was gonna loose everyone around her and be reduced to that lonely little shell of a girl she dreaded becoming again.

And here she was. Sitting awake on the deck of her father's ship staring up at the only black sky dotted with the little flickering stars of endless space.

But those stars, that comfort. It was empty.

An empty, black abyss that was masked as a sky full of stars. That sky of hope was the facade worn by the empty hole that now remained in Nancy's heart and in her mind and soul. It ate away at her until she would eventually be subsumed.

She was lost once again, abandoned and broken and for once in her very long life. She was loveless.

Yes she loved others. Caroline, Bonnie, Stefan, her father and Alaric. Emma and her new storybrooke family......and even Damon, still.

But she felt in that moment that no one would love her again.

So she stared up and away. Wishing for the sky to come down and crush her into it's endless darkness. For some force to just take her away from everyone and everything she felt she had ever not been good enough for.