68

"Morning!" Nancy called into the house as she unlocked the door and let herself into her father and Emma's home.

Boxes still filled the foyer as the couple's move in had been postponed over and over but they were slowly emptying their belongings into their new home.

The large, pristine kitchen was washed with a late morning glow that glistened over the white panel cupboards and marble counters. She peered around into the living room and again saw no one and then her eyes drifted to the stairs where she could hear someone coming down.

"Hey kid." Emma greeted her sort-of step-daughter with a warm smile and the vampire smiled back, sipping from the loose blood bag in her hand by the little nozzle.

"You working today?" Nancy asked Emma who shuck her head 'no'. "No, you going to the docks with your dad?" Emma asked and it was Nancy's turn to say no. "Nah, he's meeting up with an 'old friend' on the docks." Nancy replied with air quotes and a shrug.

"Yeah, he said something about an old Captain buddy....Ne- something?"
"Captain Nemo?" Nancy asked her voice brightening. "Like the fish?" Emma cocked her head. "Yeah! They go way back!" Nancy's smile grew. "I knew him when I was a small girl."

"You gonna go down and say hi?" Emma asked and Nancy shrugged clearly a little disappointed to say no, "it's ok.....I have stuff to do anyway."

"What stuff?"
"Stefan's taking Caroline out for the night and Ric's going out with Matt, Robin and your dad, so I've gotta drop the girls off at Ashley's then I've gotta go check in on Damon before I pick them up again to take them to mine."

"Check on Damon?"
"Yeah, help Stefan from going mad and make sure the bastard hasn't dedicated just yet." She grumbled and the blonde woman shuck her head. "He shouldn't be your responsibility." Emma sighed.

"Well that's too bad....because he is." Nancy replied shaking her head, "how was your date with papa last night?" The vampiress changed the subject swiftly and Emma's face changed from one of concern to one of quizzical thinking. "He was acting weird." Emma admitted.

"How so?"
"I don't know....he just seemed worried......distracted almost." Emma replied. "That's papa for you, the man's a mystery."

"You think he'll talk to you if you ask him what's up?" Emma questioned and Nancy shrugged, "I don't know....maybe......I'll try later.......you need me to walk Henry?"

"Nah, I've got it.....thanks Nan."
"No problem Em."

Emma suddenly gasped, her hand shaking weirdly, like a tremor was affecting only her arm, her eyes were strained as if in a trance and her mouth was open wide in shock.

"Emma? Em?" Nancy asked the woman moving the coffee from Emma's free hand.

The woman snapped out of her daze as quickly as it began and looked up at Nancy, pleading her not to worry and so, reluctantly....the two moved on.

-.-.-.-.-

"What's the weather report on Hurricane Damon?" Nancy sighed as she entered her old apartment and met eyes with Stefan across the room from where he stood watching her close the metal sliding door with a conflicted expression.

"He's been quiet......other then when he's complaining about being hungry."
"So nothing's changed?" She asked and he shuck his head. "You don't have to be here." Stefan told her, "you walked out yesterday."

"I know I did Stefan.....and I'm sticking to that......I just wanted to come by and check on you......neither of us deserve this Stefan."
"Then why do we do it?" The younger Salvatore sighed and she shuck her head, "in 160 odd years, I'm yet to discover the answer to that question."

"Wanna leave him a fresh IV then go get some food?" He pondered and she shrugged, "don't you have a date night to plan?" She asked winking at him with a nod to the photo of Stefan and Caroline on the apartment'd kitchen bench.

"You sure you don't mind watching the kids?" He asked and she nodded, "off course! Matt's dragging Ric out for a guys night and you're wine-ing and dining Caroline.....I can't wait to watch my little angels."

"You're too good of a friend Nance." He shuck his head this time and she just shrugged with a smirk. "I know."

"Come on, help me hook up the IV."

-.-.-.-.-

"Josie hold auntie Nancy's hand!" Nancy yelled out to the giggling little brunette girl as she held tight to Lizzie's hand and reached for her mischievous sister. "But auntie Nancy I'm a big girl! I know the way back to your cottage! I don't need to hold your hand!"

"We're next to a main road! Yes you bloody well do!" The vampire yelled at the young witch finally catching up and resolving to lean down and scoop the little brunette up onto her hip as Lizzie walked obediently holding her other hand.

"I know not to go on the road." Josie pouted but Nancy just chuckled at her little angry face. "Josie daddy said to behave for auntie Nancy." Lizzie spoke up, looking up to her sister under the amber street lights the three walked under.

"Dad's not here he's at the pub with uncle Matt and uncle Robin." Josie retorted and Nancy just chuckled at the bickering twins. "I think your daddy was right.....and I will be telling him if you misbehave." She threatened lightheartedly. And the two girls instantly clammed up.

As the three walked down the street a hooded figure approached from the other direction towards the town centre and as he reached the three he bumped into Nancy making her shoulder collide harshly with theirs. 

"Hey!" She yelled out angrily. "Watch where you're walking!" And the hooded figure turned around under the street lamp.

"Apologies, I wasn't looking where I was going." A smooth, English voice spoke from under the hood. A young man's face emerging from the shadows as he pulled it down.

He was a stranger to the woman and she studied him closely. He has soft brown hair and eyes and a slender face. He looked like the ghost of someone she had once knew, mingled with a familiar face. Like the descendant of an old friend.

"It's rude of me to have so harshly nudged a lady."
"Believe me, this 'lady' can handle it." She spat back, beware of this man.

"I bet she could......I'm sorry again, I'm new to town, and a bit lost.......My name is Gideon.......and I'm searching for my father."