49

Three days later

"You're up late." Alaric Saltzman span around to face the voice from the dark.

He was currently in the kitchen of Damon and Nancy's flat, having been staying there for the last few days while Caroline roomed at Bonnie's flat near the library and Nancy moved back onto her fathers boat.

The Jones girl had been avoiding them all like the plague. The only people in town who had remotely any contact with her were her father and Caroline who she occasionally texted to check in.

Alaric had been offered a teaching spot at Henry's school where he taught history while Caroline and Bonnie had officially dropped out of Whitmore and Caroline had taken up a full time job helping Snow and Regina in the mayors office as a sort of secretary.

While the others all went about their newly mundane lives Damon had basically become a shut in, Elena's coffin was arriving in meer days and clearly his fight with Nancy hadn't improved anything- only worsened things.

That night Ric had been woken by an odd foreboding feeling that settled on his chest and felt like it was suffocating him in his sleep. He had settled with a cup of coffee in front of Damon and Nancy's industrial full length window in their kitchen watching over the quiet docks.

"I could say the same to you." He replied gruffly staring back at Damon who also held a drink in his hand- a much stronger one. The vampire looked rather worse for wares, his hair was unkept from hours of rolling around in bed, wallowing in his own self-loathing spiral of 'what ifs'. He wore a dark scowl on his face and his usually shining eyes were dulled, saddened. He wore a simple pair of black sleep pants and no shirt where Alaric could see various dates scars stretching over his chest.

"Why are you depriving yourself of sleep? Isn't that supposed to come after the babies?" Damon quipped back and the ex-vampire chuckled. "I guess it is.......I don't know, part of me just thinks.........thinks there's something wrong."

"Well don't, you're fine.....tell your weird spidey senses to knock it off- I don't need to clattering around my kitchen in the wee hours. It's hard to sleep as is." The Salvatore chastised.
"Don't worry, once the babies are born and I've found a place here, I'll be outta your hair.......that is until I  ask you to baby sit." He joked and Damon chuckled again.

"What's got you up?" Ric then turned the conversation back on his friend. "Nancy." He replied bluntly, "I love her......and........and I think I've screwed it up for good this time- she thinks I want Elena.......but I don't, being with Elena was fun, being chosen over Stefan for once was fun......but......but if being with Elena means being human then.......then I don't want Elena.......I love Nancy and deep down Ric, I think part of me has always known it. Even when we were compelled." He poured his true feelings out for the ex-original who just listened calmly.

"Then you need to show her that Damon......show her you love her."
"I know.....but what if I'm too late?"
"Maybe you're not." Ric said wisely before he patted the Vampire's shoulder and passed him back into the flat. "I'm going back to bed, don't beat yourself up all night......Stefan might actually need you at work tomorrow."

"Goodnight Ric."
"Night Damon."

And there Alaric left Damon staring out of the window onto the docks, where on an old pirate ship that swayed in the midnight air and inky bay's waves, sat the figure of a girl leaned up at the tip of the top deck snuggled in a blanket, illuminated by an amber oil lamp and watching the stars.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

"What are you doing out here little star?" Came the voice of the girl's father as she sat gazing up into the brilliant dark beyond. "Nothing Papa, just go back to bed." She replied with a shrug but he didn't believe her.

"Not sleeping again?" Be asked with a sigh, sitting beside her and watching her tanned features contort into a face of deep thought. "Just wondering Papa.....letting my mind wonder."

"About that boy?"
"Since when did you take an interest in my love life?" She asked through a light chuckle that reminded him of her mother. "Your mother used to laugh like that." He told her and she looked up.

"Why don'y you ever tell me about her papa?"
"Because it hurts my love, to talk about her- it reminded me of all you were deprived of. With out a mother."

"Papa, I don't mind that I didn't get to meet her, but not knowing anything hurts me too." She replied and he sighed. "I know love."

"Well? Will you tell me about her?"

"I suppose it's time you knew about who your mother was, more then I've said..........well........her name was Qestiyah."

".........and she was my first love."