47

Elena Gilbert had some answering to do.

Damon was locked in our cellar because he had been deemed a danger to Jeremy who he had been compelled, by Kol, to kill.

Stefan was in cahoots with Rebecca of all people and Klaus was sipping a glass of bourbon in my cellar with my friend locked up in a cell while he baby sat.

The world was turning on it's head.

Us and the originals working together.

Mostly.

The only one we seemed to be fighting with at this moment in time was Kol. He was head strong, indecisive and yet oddly calculating.

He'd been smart enough- in hindsight- to want to avoid raising Silas even if that meant no cure. But we were the impulsive ones.

Elena had rang me in a panic, explaining that Kol was camped out on her front yard and she needed me to come get him away, but the line had gone dead and I was worried.

How had he gotten in if he had and ended the call? Or why was he there?

The answer was to hurt Jeremy.

Kol meant a lot to me. He was my link to the past.

For a brief period before Augustine, I'd gone away for a summer to travel Europe without the boys- and that had been when they fell out and I had returned only to find Damon then get caught by the men of Augustine.

But that summer, was one of the best summers of my life.

I met a kind young Englishman, a polite, charming young fellow who stole what was left of my already broken heart and began to repair it.

That was until he was called away in family affairs and left me in a hotel in Italy with nothing more then the previous night wine bottle and a little note, along with a ring he's put on the pillow by my head.

The note had read:

Nancy,
When you return to America, write me a letter. Write it and post it to this address in New Orleans. It's where my family has settled. Visit me too.....when I say it's safe. I will miss you. Help your friends.

All my love,
-Your Kol x

That was decades ago though and we had stayed in touch but not as much as I had've liked to. Then one day he and his family showed up in Mystic Falls, right when my group of friends was falling apart. I had Kol back.

But that night when Elena Gilbert called me and I showed up to calm down my old friend and save her.

I lost him.

She took him from me.

I walked slowly towards the Gilbert's open door and peered inside that night.

And there on the kitchen floor was a charred, mutilated body with a white oak stake protruding from it's chest.

One thing had fallen to the floor beside the victim.