77

Years ago, Neverland

Twilight had descended earlier and earlier as of late

Twilight had descended earlier and earlier as of late.The days had slowly grown more temperate and the nights darker, longer. The forest had  become wilder, denser, more treacherous. The sea that had once caressed the island's edges, now lashed in great blackening waves at the coves and beaches. Great offensives launched in a battle against land and shore.The once gently smoothed cliff edges now had their faces turned jagged by the waters in their wake.

Beads of sweat that had once lingered all day and night melted off of bodies by the break of evening and chills ran through their vessels. While clothing had once been wicking moisture from pores in thin and loose fabrics, layers were now necessary to not freeze in the nights chills. Boots replaced sandals and any repurposed leather was in demand for protection from thickened thorns and bushes through the forest.

Where once the air had felt fresh and clean, mingled sea salt and wet foliage was now replaced with something more sour, burning fires and smoke from Pan's camp looked in great clouds overhead.

Something on Neverland was changing, shifting.

"Do you ever miss home?" Bae seemed to have plucked the question out of thin air that night. The space around the two teens suddenly became thicker, warmer. It wasn't just from their pathetic little fire.

Nancy looked up. She blinked, her eyes having been strained for too long on the flickering orange flames before her, deep in thought.

She dragged her face from the heat for a moment and shuck her head before she looked him in the eyes. "Do you?" She asked, questioning with her tone.

Even after yet another daring escape across the island's dense jungle. Even after the fall of night. Even longer after Pan's lost boys had returned to their camp and given up their hunt for the day....the two fugitives both still whispered despite their relative 'safety' and seclusion.

Too afraid to give even the slightest of a whisper of their position. This was their secret, their little edge of the island.

"Sometimes....I miss my Papa". Bae admitted, "back before he turned dark. I miss my mother too...I know I'll be back with her one day.....but." He sighed as he told her a candid smile reaching over his pale face. His cheeks were tinted a slight blush colour under the flickering firelight. The otherwise dark hideout around them making shadows dance across their silouettes. She was curled up stoking the fire from her nest of blankets and old fishing nets on the floor while he lazily relaxed back into his makeshift hammock across from her own.

"You're a dreamer Bae, you're foolish enough to allow yourself to think of such innocent, beautiful thoughts." She sighed her brown irises illuminated in an amber, honey-like ring that followed the path of the small, escaped embers. The flames that jumped up from the crackling firepit and performed small routines around the crumbling wooden structure.