Destroying Demons

Colson

The next morning I woke up in a bed. I'm guessing it was the guest room. I got up and walked down stairs and the smell of banana, cinnamon, pancakes hit my nose. God I missed that smell. My mom always use to make those for me when I was little.

"Great your up. I hope these are still your favorite." She stated

"Its been over 16 years and you still remember my favorite." I smiled

"How could I forget. Plus there your sisters favorite too."

"Man I have siblings now. It's crazy I always thought I was an only child. So they know about me, like who I am?"

"Yep and your brother has been to several of your shows. He looks up to you a lot. Even though they've never met you they love you like they've known you since birth."

"I can't wait to meet them. They look like great kids."

"They are and they come home in about two days. I really hope you can stay."

"I'll be here. It's not like I have anywhere important to be now a days." I said playing with my pancakes.

"Colson, I know everything that's going on and I want you to talk to me." She said but I just looked away ashamed.

"When you went to sleep last night you were shaking and sweating. You were having withdrawals. You started using again?" She questioned.

"I'm trying to get clean. I promise but with everything going on I, I just can't right now."

"You have to, what about Casie?"

"What about her? She's safe she's with Jane who loves her. Last time I saw Casie she told me she hated me. She told me that if she had to choose between me and Jane she would choose her. You know why? Cause she said she already lost one mom she wasn't gonna lose another because of me." I said with a stone face

"She didn't mean that. She's just a child. She's had a childhood trauma. When you and Jane got married that brought normalcy into her life again and it gave her balance. When you separated it crushed her so she started acting out."

"I know but damn it mom! I really fucked up. Jane really loved me and I fucked all that up. And for what? Because I was lonely and couldn't deal with my abandonment issues."

"Ok, now we're getting somewhere. I see this is how most of your relationships have ended up. But now things are different. Now you know that I didn't leave you. You know that I cared the whole time. So now you can't use that excuse anymore."

"What about my childhood. After you left I was moving from place to place, living in poverty, getting bullied, getting beat."

"Colson, look at you now. Look what you've gained. Millions of people look up to you now when in the past only a few looked down. You were able to turn all that pain into something positive and look how many people's lives you've changed. You could've never done that had you not had that pain."

"Damn I never thought of it that way. Your like a damn therapist or something."

"Well a did get a doctorate in child psychology." She smiled.

I really never thought about any of that shit like that before. It was like now I was looking at my life in a whole new way.