Chapter 51

Aola and I ride alongside Legolas and Gimli. Aragorn was directly ahead of us leading a column of 500 foot soldiers from Rohan and Gondor. Gandalf, Eomer, Merry and pippin rode near me too.

We approach the mountains of Mordor and I can feel many men grow nervous. We were marching to our deaths.
~~~~
"Where are they?" I head pippin ask quietly as we stare at the black gate.

Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Gandalf, Eomer, Merry, Pippin, and I ride towards the black gate. We stop about 50 ft before it and Aragorn rides forward, "Let the lord of the black land come forth; let justice be upon him!" From behind the gates, chanting and the clanging of armor of thousands can be heard. With the sound of tortured metal, the massive gates begin to open. I look on in trepidation as 300 000 orcs march towards us. "Pull back!" Aragorn shouts and we ride back to our men. The men start to waver as the orcs encircle us. Some men start backing away, losing their nerve.

Aragorn gallops in front of them, "Hold your ground! Hold your ground! Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day may come when the courage of men fails; when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship; but it is not this day, an hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth! I bid you stand!" Aragorn lifts Anduril Aloft, his sword, into the air and the men to unsheathe their swords.

Legolas turned to me and pulled me closer, connecting our lips. It was a short kiss, but it was full of passion. We pulled away and Gimli spoke, "Never thought I'd die fighting side by side with elves." I smiled, "What about side by side with friends?" Gimli looked at me and Legolas and smiled, "Aye. I could do that." Legolas plants a hand on Gimli's shoulder and we turn to face the enemy together. Aragorn raises his sword and looks into the eyes of the remaining members of the fellowship, "For Frodo." Aragorn charges forward and there is a moment of silence. Suddenly, Merry and pippin let out a battle cry and charge. We all soon follow while yelling.