Chapter 5

"The walls of Moria." Gimli said with pride. We continued walking across the rocks when Frodo's foot slipped into the water but he quickly pulled it out. We finally stopped and Gandalf started feeling the walls. "It mirrors only starlight and moonlight." The moon emerged from behind the clouds and a glowing arch appeared. "It reads

The doors of Durin, lord of Moria. Speak friend and enter.

Gandalf read. "What do you suppose that means?" Merry asked. "It's quite simple," Gandalf said, "If you are a friend, you speak the password and the doors will open." He put his staff do the arch and started chanting. Nothing happened. I walked over to Aola and took everything off her. She neighed and I sighed, "You have helped me through many adventures my friend. I'm afraid you must go now for those mines are not safe. I will see you soon Aola." She started to gallop away but stopped and turned back to me. I whistled as if tell her to go which she did. I could feel Legolas' eyes on me but I refused to look at him. Pippin threw a rock in the water and I walked over to him. I placed my hand on his before he could throw another, "Do not disturb the water." I walked over to Gandalf as he threw his staff beside Frodo, "Oh, it's useless." I noticed a small ripple go through the water and gulped. "It's a riddle," I looked back at Frodo and saw him staring at the arch, "Speak friend and enter. What's the elvish word for 'friend'?" "Mellon." Gandalf and I replied. The arch suddenly opened and I stared in amazement. Nice job Frodo.

We walked inside but it was too dark to see. Gimli started talking, "Soon master elf, you will enjoy the fabled hospitality of the dwarves. Roaring fires, malt beer, ripe meat off the bone." Gandalf lit up his staff as we all looked in disgust besides Gimli. Dead dwarf carcasses were everywhere. I took a step and heard a crunch under my foot. I had stepped on a skull. "This is no mine," Boromir started, "It's a tomb."

Gimli looked around in horror, "No...no!" I pulled an arrow out of one of the bodies. "Goblins." I spat out in disgust. Everyone quickly pulled out their weapons. "We make for the Gap of Rohan. We should never have come here." Boromir said. I got my bow out and turned just in time to see a tentacle come out of the water and drag Frodo. I shot my arrow and hit it but the tentacle didn't stop. Sam cut the tentacle which made it retreat into dark depths of the lake. it was silent for a few moments till multiple tentacles emerged and grabbed Frodo. I felt one wrap around my ankle and pull me into the air. I accidentally dropped my bow and tried to reach for my sword. It suddenly dropped me and I screamed. Thank god arms caught me before I hit the ground. It was Legolas. I noticed one of his arrows sticking out of the tentacle that was once holding me. He ran back into the cave and put me down. I looked back and saw the humongous squid had climbed onto the cave. The walls could not support it's weight so it collapsed and we were trapped in total darkness. "We now have but one choice," Gandalf started and lit his staff, "we must face the long dark of Moria. There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of the world."

EDITED 15/03/15