Chapter 45

I rode beside King Theoden as we went through the camp. "Make way for the King! Make way, the King is here! My lord! Hail to you sire!" Mutineers soldiers yell as we ride by. "Grimbold, how many?" Theoden asked a man. "I bring 500 men fell Westfold my lord." "We have 300 more from Fenmarch, Theoden King." A soldier spoke. "Where are the riders from Snowbourn?" He asked. "None have come, my lord."
~~~~
I look down at the army below us as Aragorn walks over. Theoden speaks, "Six thousand spears, less than half of what I had hoped for." I looked over at Mordor, "Six thousand will not be enough to break the lines of Mordor." Theoden looked at me, "More will come." He goes to walk away as Aragorn speaks, "Every hour lost hastens Gondor's defeat. We have until dawn then we must ride."

Suddenly a neigh attracts my attention. We all turn to see the men are having difficulty calming down Aola as she seemed to be anxious about something. I walk over to Aola and stroke her nose, "Fear not Aola for you are safe. Do not make yourself add to my list of worries. You must be calm." Once I stopped talking, she started to get anxious again. That has never happened before.

I walked over to Legolas, Gimli, and Eomer. "The horses are restless and the men are quiet." Legolas stated looking around. "They grow nervous in he shadow of the mountain." Eomer explained and I looked towards a small cleft through the rocks.

"That road there, where does it lead?" Gimli asked curiously. "It is the road to the Dimholt; the door under the mountain." "None who venture there ever return. That mountain is evil." Eomer said an walked away.

"Aragorn!" Gimli shouted to Aragorn who was staring into the cleft, "Let's find some food." We walked away but I couldn't help but glance back at the cleft. What was down there?