Chapter 16

We watched as Aragorn pressed his ear against a rocks. "Their pace has quickened. They must have caught our scent." I sighed from my place beside Legolas. We'd been on the Urak-Hai's trail for three days. "Hurry!" Aragorn yelled as we started running again. "Come on Gimli!" I shouted in a joking manner since he was falling behind out of breath. "Three days and nights pursuit. No food, no rest. And no sign I our quarry, but what bare rock can tell." I giggle slightly at Gimli's rant. Legolas looked at me and smiled. Ever since Boromir's passing, Legolas and I have become much closer. I have yet to tell him how I feel though.

We continued running through the empty plains trying to make up for the ground lost. Aragorn lead, while Legolas and I followed close behind, and Gimli was about 50ft behind us. Poor lad, we were pushing him way too hard.

After a mile running I paused and picked something shiny off the ground. It was one of the hobbits clasps we each received from lady Galadriel. "Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall." I said and stood up, passing the clasp to Aragorn. "They may yet be alive." Legolas said. "Less than a day ahead of us." Aragorn spoke as we started to run again. Gimli came falling from behind a rock so I turned and shouted, "Come, Gimli! We're gaining on them!" Legolas chuckled and Gimli growled, "I've wasted on cross country. We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances." I laughed at his comment and continued to run alongside Aragorn. We ran out from between the rocks and looked out into the plains below us. "Rohan. Home of the Horse-lords. There's sketching strange at work here. Some evil gives speed to these creatures. Sets its will against us. Legolas! Raina! What do your elf eyes see?" Aragorn spoke to legal and I who had run slightly ahead. "The Uraks turn northeast." I said and Legolas continued, "They're taking the hobbits to Isengard."