Chapter 33

"We'll place the reserves along the wall. They can support the archers from above the gate." I spotted Aragorn giving orders to Legolas and Gimli, and quickly ran over. Legolas was telling Aragorn how he should be resting.

"Aragorn!" I yelled running over, "I'm to be sent with the women into the caves." He smiled slightly, "That is as honourable charge." I glared at him and raised my voice, "To mind the children, to find food and bedding when the men return. What renown is there in that?" He placed his hands on my shoulders, "Lady Raina, we cannot risk losing you. I feel the only place we can guarantee your safety is in the caves." I clenched my fists, "Let me stand at your side." He backed up slightly, "It is not in my power to command." He turned away but I yelled after him, "You do not command the others to stay! They fight beside you because they would not be parted from you. Because they love. You are like a brother to me Aragorn. I wish to fight alongside you." He stared at me for a few moments before nodding. I cheered and hugged him.

The soldiers passed out worn down weapons and I sighed. "Farmers, farriers, stable boys. These are no soldiers." Aragorn spoke to Legolas, Gimli, and I. "Many have seen too many winters." Gimli said looking at the old men. "Or too few." I mumbled as a I watched a boy who must have been no older than 12 get passed a sword. "Look at them. They're frightened. I can see it in their eyes." Legolas said and turned towards Aragorn, "And they should be...three hundred against ten thousand!" I rested a hand on Legolas' arm and he placed an arm around my waist. "Calm down." I whispered in his ear. "They have more hope of defending themselves here than at Edoras." Aragorb replied. By now everyone surrounding us was watching. "Aragorn, they cannot win this fight. They are going to die!" "Legolas!" I shouted and pulled away from him. "Then I shall die as one of them!" Aragorn yelled and stormed off.

I glared at Legolas and followed after Aragorn. "Let them go, lad. Let them be." I heard Gimli say as I left the room. I found Aragorn at a watch tower looking out. I stood next to him, "Forgive Legolas. He is just angry because he does not want to watch these people die. He shouldn't have said what he did, but now is not the time to have an argument. We must stick by each other through the war." Aragorn turned to me and smiled, "You are right, Raina." I smirked, "I am always right."