THIRTY-SIX

Jack and I waved "goodbye" to his parents from his Jeep as we backed out of the driveway.

I could tell that he had cried a little while I was in the bathroom this morning but he would never admit it.

I felt so terrible for this, as he seemed so in distress about his parents' well being

We sat in silence as we drove along the road. I couldn't hear anything but the motor in the car as well as other cars driving past.

I looked over at Jack who still had slightly puffy eyes and took his right hand, which was laying on the arm rest, into mine.

He looked over at me and gave me a weak smile then turned back to the road.

"How are you feeling?" I asked, trying to get something out of him.

"I'm feeling good," he exhaled "how about you?"

"You're a terrible liar, Jack. Just talk to me." I played with his fingers which were interlocked with mine.

"I'm just.. I'll miss them. I just want them to stay safe." He caressed my hand with his thumb and laid his head back on the headrest.

"They'll be ok, I promise. They're going to take A nice trip to Aspen, babe. It should be a nice getaway for them anyways." I attempted to cheer him up.

"It's not like they'd be going if we hadn't showed up." He mumbled.

"I'm just trying to stay positive. I know for a fact that he has my mother's address so I've been trying my best to not think about it for the baby's sake-" I was cut off by my phone buzzing in my lap.

Hey, I know you and Jack are on your get-away trip and I know you asked Johnson and I to kind of keep an eye out on your house, but we wanted to let you know that someone broke in or just vandalized your house last night. Every single window has been completely busted in or out. We called the police and had them check it out but we wanted to let you know. - Lia Johnson.

I closed my eyes and let out a sigh, then turned my phone off.

"What?" Jack's eyes went from my phone to me then back to the road.

"I'm just tired." I laid back.

"We must both be terrible liars because that obviously isn't the case," He chuckled "who texted you?"

"Lia." I simply answered.

"What did she say?" He asked.

"Just pregnant woman things." I lied again.

"Mhm. That's—" he was cut off by his phone ringing, and his dad's name popped up on the little screen on his dash.

He let go of my hand to press the "accept call" button and his phone immediately connected to the Bluetooth speaker.

"Hey dad, what's up?"Jack said with his eyebrows furrowed.

"Hey Jack, your mother and I were just wondering if you let Cub out or anything before you left?"

"No, I don't know if I saw him this morning, why?" Jack asked.

"We just can't find him. We think he might have wondered off or he may just be hiding right now."

Jack let out a sigh and his knuckles turned white from gripping the steering wheel so tight.

"We're turning around now," he said, keeping a calm tone

"You don't have to—"

"No, dad, it's fine. We're about fifteen minutes from the house anyways."