FORTY-ONE

A week later

I closed my MacBook as I got ready to pack up so I could head back to the hotel jack and I were staying at.

I finally got assigned a new case to work on, so I had a reason to consistently come to work. This at least gave me the motivation to get out of bed in the morning which has been hard these past couple of weeks.

The LA County sheriff's department did decide to look into Ms. Neil's case which is great. However, since I was her lawyer, they need me to get involved. The new case along with this sudden urge for justice both came with terrible timing.

As I was getting up from my desk, my phone vibrated. I looked down and saw a message from an unsaved number.

You're supposed to meet with me today. Where are you?- Unknown

I'm not meeting with you, Hayes.- Gabby

Should I pay you and your husband a visit to the Marriot then?- Unknown.

I let out a sigh in exasperation and quickly gathered my stuff.

I sped over to Jack and I's house, just wanting to get this all over with. And when I got there I used the key to let myself in.

When I opened the door, I found Hayes searching through the fridge.

"Hey baby," he didn't even bother to turn around "you guys really need to go through this stuff. Half of it is expired." He said as he picked up a small container of yogurt.

"Well we haven't been home in over a month now thanks to you, so I'm not sure what you want me to do. "

"I mean, you could stay here with me." He shrugged and I rolled my eyes.

"So I can sleep with you instead of my husband?"

"Don't you want to come home? I know you're tired of that old hotel." He ignored my statement.

"I'm staying there to avoid you, Hayes. I want my home back." He turned around to finally face me and his eyes immediately landed on my stomach.

He let out a sigh and slightly slouched his shoulders "You didn't get rid of it."

"I told you I wasn't going to."

"Why do you have to make everything so difficult?" He groaned.

"You came into my life. You're the only obstacle standing in anyone's way. I'm not sure how I'm being difficult." I said in a defensive tone, clearly annoyed.

"I'm trying to make this easier for all of us." Hayes said.

"Nothing about terminating a pregnancy I want to go through with is easy."

"We both know how things are eventually going to play out, Gabby." Hayes chuckled while closing the fridge and I couldn't help but to roll my eyes again.

"Ya know, I really should report you to the police for violating our order of protection so many times." I crossed my arms over my chest.

"You know better," he snickered "you know I could ruin your life if I really wanted to."

"You already have." I responded, coldly.

"Don't say that. You're making it harder for yourself than it needs to be." He said as he started to walk towards me. I scoffed at his arrogance.

"I would hate to see you as a widowed young woman who had a miscarriage for undefined reasons, causing her to lose the only thing left of her late husband."

"You would love to see that."

"No, I'd much rather it not happen that way." He reached for my hips but I took a step back.