SEVENTY-FOUR

Hayes and I both sat in silence as we rode along the ongoing road. There hadn't been a single light to stop us in miles, and I could tell that we were making our way out of The South and into the Midwest.

A "Welcome to Illinois" sign was the first thing to greet us.

It had been silent for hours, now. Ever since we got back into the car from the motel. He of course scolded me first, but I think he had to stop talking about it to calm him down.

"Hayes?" I said softly, breaking the silence.

"What?" His eyes continued to stay glued to the road.

"Are you still mad at me?"

"What do you think, Gabrielle?"

I stayed silent again before responding.

"I was just trying to–"

"You were trying to escape. I tried to do something nice for you, and you took advantage of that."

Because I want to go home, Hayes. I thought before I spoke, tempted to express the fact that I just wanted to go home. I guess my failed escape attempt completely diminished the trust I was trying to build with him.

"I mean, you seemed like you enjoyed the sex. I thought that was the first step in you actually putting faith in this plan for us to be together."

"I did enjoy it, and I... I am starting to just... Go along with your plan or vision or whatever it is, I just," I hesitated for a second, trying to find the right words to say "I just panicked. I really did think someone was at the door and I was– I'm so tired, and–"

"I'm not fucking stupid, Gabby. Just say it. You tried to leave me and you couldn't." I rolled my eyes at him, crossing my arms over my chest again.

"Seriously though, you could have gotten somebody killed." He added.

"It wouldn't be my fault. You would have done it." I muttered.

"Speak up, baby." He said.

"It wouldn't be my fault. You just want to place the blame on me." I looked over at him.

"I don't need to place the blame anywhere. I'm perfectly content with what I had to do to get us out of those situations."

"But you know it's not actually me who's causing these deaths. You're killing them, not me."

"Yeah, but you know the consequences that come along with your actions, Gabby. I warned you already, multiple times. That nice officer would have been alive had you not drawn him out of the car."

"I don't care. You're not pinning this on me."

"Think about it though. Had you not lured him out of the car, knowing the consequences of your actions already, we would have still been on our way to our next destination. Except, you wouldn't have the blood of that man on your hands and cuffs around your wrists."

I hesitated before answering again "You still did it, Hayes."

"I mean, he probably had a family waiting for him back at home. A wife, kids. It's a shame that you did that just to end up in the same position, just a little more uncomfortable."

"Also, I read a news article today," My breath stopped as he spoke because there could be so many different things that he could have seen. Man and baby found dead in home invasion. Woman missing, remains found in swampy marsh. Officer killed in civillian shooting.

"It was about you." He chuckled "Congratulations, baby. You're officially a deceased person." His smile was big and arrogant.

"Well, they're still trying to figure out whose remains they are, but they'll figure it out soon enough."