FORTY-THREE

Monday morning

As I got ready to head to work, I decided to confront Hayes about the fire that almost burned down our kitchen, so I picked up the phone and called him.

I held my phone up to my ear after dialing Hayes' number just for him to pick up immediately.

"Hey Gabby."

"Arson? Really?" I said, ignoring him.

"How'd you know?" He slightly laughed.

"It's not your first time." I said, referring to Cameron and his "accidental" death.

"I had to show you that I meant business."

"We had a deal, Hayes."

"You keep saying that but you keep breaking the rules of the deal, Gabby." He said and I rolled my eyes.

"Because you take things way too fucking far." I said, annoyed.

"I can take things as far as I want. That's a part of the deal." He snickered.

"That doesn't mean you get to try to burn my house down."

"Then what does it mean, Gabby?" He slightly raised his voice "You said that if I wanted this to work between us, I would have to refrain from talking about or actively harming your husband or unborn child. You're not holding up your end of the deal at all."

"I went out with you like two days ago-"

"You left after fifteen minutes," he cut me off "I told you that you'd regret that."

"Ok, well it's over now. You got your revenge."

"What's over?" He asked "you still never finished our date."

"Jesus Christ," I muttered "is a date what you want, Hayes?" I asked.

"I would love to go on an actual date with you," I could hear the smirk in his voice "how is tonight?"

"Jack and I were supposed to have dinner together tonight."

"That's not my problem. Just actually wear something nice this time, and don't wear any panties."

"That is so fucking corny, I'm not doing that." I crossed my arms over my chest.

"It's because I have some for you."

"So, you've finally decided to give me my panties back, huh?" I asked.

"Not exactly.. but I'll pick you up at 7. Maybe wear something like a dress for easy access, ya know?."

And with that, I hung up before he could get anymore words in. I let out a sigh in exasperation as I picked up my work bag so I could leave and head to work.

Jack came down the stairs with his white button down, dress pants and work bag.

"Goodmorning, I feel like this is the first time I've seen you this morning." He said with a bright attitude. He's definitely always been a morning person, I can't see how though.

"Yeah," I muttered.

"What's wrong?" He asked with furrowed eyebrows and a slight frown.

"I just don't feel like going to work." I lied.

"Monday's are always the worst." He wrapped his arms around me and embraced me in a hug.

"I'm going out to dinner with Lia tonight." I said while wrapping my arms around him.

"I thought I'd have you all to myself tonight?" He asked.

"I know, but something came up with her and she wanted to talk about it over dinner. Let's just reschedule for tomorrow night." I rested my chin on is chest and looked up at him.