SEVENTY-THREE

Jack's POV

I zipped up Gabby's suitcase that had almost half of the items she came here with before Hayes came and took her.

I let out a sigh as I looked around the room to see if there was anything else that might belong to us before picking up the suitcase by it's handle with my arm that wasn't occupied by crutches, and carefully carrying it out of the room.

I let out a sigh as I reached the top of the stairs and looked down at how many I had to lug this thing down.

I leaned my crutch up against the stair railing, grabbed onto the railing, then picked the suitcase up, starting my difficult journey down the stairs. 

When I reached the foot of the steps, I saw that my mom was making lunch.

"Do you need help with that, honey? I don't want you to hurt your leg anymore." She said.

She looked up at me, but I could see the pity in her eyes once she saw my puffy face.

"Hi sweetheart, how have you been holding up today?" She asked as she set her utensils down and wiped off her hands before she approached me.

"I've been good." I lied as I nodded my head "Just.. Packing up the car."

"I hate to see you guys leave already." She frowned as she approached me, taking the suitcase out of my hand and setting it down.

"Yeah, I think it's just.. Time to go back home."

"I get it. Home always feels better," She nodded her head "But will it really feel like home?" She asked.

There was a pause in the conversation as she walked past me, going up the stairs and grabbing the crutch I just had.

"Yeah, I just.. Hate the humidity down here and I miss our friends and.. Bed. I want to go home," I shrugged before picking the suitcase back up and turning around to face her "I have to finish packing up the car."

"Jack, I don't want you to be alone." She said as she handed me my crutch. Her words hurt to hear. It felt like my chest was caving in "and where's your other crutch? If you absolutely must take this outside, I can carry it for y—"

"Mom, I'm not gonna be alone. I have Drew." I cut her off. I tried to say it in an upbeat tone as I looked back at her with a smile.

"Jack," She said in a soft tone,"It's ok to.. Want your space, but I dont think it's a good time for you to be alone."

"I'm not going to be alone, mom. I have Johnson and Leah and Mark and plenty of friends out there. And I told you. I have Drew." I tried to keep my tone upbeat, but I knew she saw right through it.

She looked up at me, taking in the pitiful look on my face, probably examining the bruises and scratches and bandages too.

"What?" I asked, forcing a cheeky smile, trying to throw her off and make her believe that I was ok.

"You dont have to lie to me, Jack. I'm your mother." She said as she wrapped her arms around my torso, embracing me into a hug "I know you're sad."

I wrapped my arms around her small frame and inhaled deeply.

I could feel the tears well up in my eyes and the pain in my chest start to feel worse.

"We're going to find her. I promise." She said as she rubbed my back.

I tried to stop myself from breaking down but I couldn't keep it in anymore. My body leaned into her more as I sulked, and tears came running down my face. I tried to take deep breaths to control my crying but I couldn't take it anymore. My arms tightened around her and I cried for the first time in days. The physical pain that I went through didn't even hurt as much as this.