TWENTY-THREE

I paced around my hotel room with my phone in my hand, hovering my finger over Gabby's contact.

I need to be honest with her no matter what so I think it's best if I just call her to get it over with now.

As I was about to call her, I heard a knock on the door "Jack, it's Mark." I heard him say through the door. I let out a sigh in relief and opened the door for him, and as soon as he saw my face, he frowned

"Woah, What's wrong?" He asked while walking past me, into my room.

"I need you to keep something between us." I closed the door behind me.

"Of course." He said while sitting down on the side of my bed and grabbing the TV remote.

"Mark... I think I hooked up with Sadie last night." He paused then looked up at me.

"Wait.. what?" He asked.

"I don't remember shit from last night."

"Jack, it's not like she was actually drunk too, and she knows you're married. She wouldn't—"

"Yes she would," I cut him off "there's something off about her. You were right, I think she does actually.. want me." It sounded so vain and cocky when I said it out loud but it all made sense.

"We all went up to our own rooms. You guys didn't even go together." He shook his head.

"Then why do I have," I walked over to the side of my bed and dragged the bralette out from under my bed with my shoe.

"Wait, what is th—" he cut himself off as he came to realize what it was.

"Jack." He groaned while putting his face in his hands.

"Mark, I don't know what to do. I need to tell Gabby but what the fuck am I supposed to tell her? It's not like I remember anything." I felt so stuck.

"Maybe she's lying." He shrugged.

"Her bra is in my room." I reiterated, annoyed.

"Maybe she planted it on you. I know you. You're too faithful to even fuck her when you're drunk."

"Did she follow me to my room?" I asked.

"I don't know. We all went our separate ways. She offered to help you but you declined and went back up to your room."

I stood there, contemplating what to do for a second, but got an idea I was sure would work.

"I need to go check something." I mumbled while slipping my shoes on.

"Wait, where are you going?" Mark asked as I left the room.

-

The hotel manager lead me back to the room where they have all of the security footage and monitors, and I could feel my heart pounding as we approached the room.

He unlocked the door and opened it, revealing a wall of monitors surrounding one larger computer screen.

"When did you say this all happend?" The manager asked while sitting down at the desk in front of the monitors.

"Umm, we all went down to the bar at about 9:00 so maybe.. like 11PM, I don't know." I shrugged.

"Ok," he trailed off as he focused on finding the camera footage from last night.

After about ten minutes, he found footage of me stumbling down the hall, obviously drunk off my ass. I got on the elevator by myself along with off of the elevator by myself, and continued to stumble down the hallway.

I entered the room using my key and that was it. The footage just showed my closed hotel room door.

He sped forward about ten minutes, and we continued to try to find anything but there was nothing.

"The.. item you found might have been left by a previous resident. I apologize for the inconvenience, sir." He said to me as he reached over to stop playing the survalebce video, and I saw a figure walking down the hall.

"Hold on, hold on," I leaned in to get a closer look "what is that?"

We both watched as the short, brown-haired woman walked down the hall and eventually stopped at my door. She looked around first to check her surroundings, revealing who she was, then used a key to get into my room.

I sat there shocked.

There were so many questions. Why would she do that? Where'd she get the key from? How did she plan this?

As I sat there shocked, I could tell the hotel manager just felt bad.

"Do you think you might need this footage to settle any kind of legal disputes or.." he kind of trailed off.

"I.. how'd she get a copy of my key?" I asked, disregarding his question.

"I don't.. I don't know."

"Fuck." I groaned while resting my face in my hands.

I started to think of ways that I could tell Gabby about what happened, but they all sounded terrible.

"I knew I shouldn't have come on this trip." I ran my hands through my hair.

"Listen.. I uhh.. I think your wife will understand." He tried to assure me.

"That's the thing, I didn't want to do anything with her, and she knew that—" I was cut off by more movement on the video screen.

Sadie was walking out of my room and back down the hall from where she originally came from.

I sat there in shock because only about ten minutes had passed while she was in my room, leaving no time to actually do anything with her.

The manager skipped forward about twenty minutes, and she never came back, solidifying that she only stayed for a few minutes.

I let out a sigh in relief. I wasn't sure what just happened, but thank God it was probably nothing. The only question is what she was doing.

GABBY's POV

As I approached the front door, coming home from work, I found a big bouquet of red, white, and deep purple roses.

"Jack, you didn't." I said to myself in awe as I walked up the front steps.

I set my stuff down and picked the heavy bouquet up to admire them. There were about over 50 small roses in the bouquet. It was huge, but they were also kind of small. Jack knows how much I love roses, but why this gesture if he's only been gone for two days?

I smiled as I looked for the card, which usually has a small note written on it, and found the small, white note written in cursive.

"A rose, for each day I have left without seeing you, my love- Hayes."

My stomach dropped and I felt my shoulders do the same.

I let out a sigh and tossed them back onto the porch, then picked my stuff back up and dug around for my keys.

Once I got the door open, I slammed and locked it behind me, fully annoyed at the fact that he just won't stop. He knows all of this is freaking me out. I know it, but that must be the point.

-

So, so sorry for the long wait without an update. I've been planning protests and doing a lot of shit for the BLM movement. The next chapter won't be as shitty though, I promise.