FIFTY-ONE

I laid in Jack and I's bathtub so I could take a salt bath to help relieve my aching back pain. My phone was playing songs on Spotify to help me keep my mind busy and distract me, but to my luck, they were all sad ass songs. The playlist consisted of artists like Frank Ocean, Mariah The Scientist, Brent, or any other artist who makes heartbreak songs that are addictive, but too relatable to your circumstances.

As I listened intently to every word or scenario these artists had expressed in their songs, I ran out of tears. My sadness and grievances turned into numbness. I truly was hurt and I cared deep down, but in this moment, everything still felt so surreal, and I think disassociating helped me cope with everything going on.

I heard a light knock at the door, pulling me out of my thoughts.

Jack said he would give me my space, and agreed to sleep in our guest room, but we still live together and had to encounter each other at some point sooner or later.

I cleared my voice and paused the music before speaking "Come in." I said quietly.

The door slowly opened and Jack slightly peeked his head in before walking in.

I laid back in the tub and closed my eyes as I heard him search through his drawer and grab his towel, toothbrush, and other toiletries.

Neither one of us spoke to each other, and the tension in the room was thick and heavy.

"Do you want me to just take a shower on the guest bathroom, or do you mind me taking one in here?" He asked, breaking the silence.

"I don't care." I didn't bother to open my eyes or turn my head his way.

I could feel his eyes still on me as I laid in the tub.

"So, I won't disturb you?" He asked.

"No." I said bluntly.

He let out a sigh before walking over to the shower and opening up the sliding glass doors, then turning the water on. He walked back over to the sink and set down the rest of the items he was originally holding in his hands.

I slightly opened my eyes to see him stripping down and tossing his clothes on the floor next to the shower, then stepping in and closing the sliding door behind himself.

I let out a sigh as I sat up in the tub, and held onto the side so I could get up. I grabbed my towel and wrapped it around my body before I grabbed onto the wall and carefully stepped out.

I dried myself off, and when I looked up at the small corner of the mirror that wasn't fogged up I noticed him glancing at me from the shower. I acted as though I didn't see it and carried on, drying myself off and leaving the bathroom. I planned on finishing my nighttime routine after he left the bathroom, but I couldn't stand to stay in there with him.

I put on a large t-shirt- one that wasn't Jack's- and laid down.

I let out a sigh as I laid on my side of the bed. I still felt very numb, yet I still felt a pain in my chest. It's like a lump has been sitting in my throat all evening. I turned over on my side, facing the opposite direction of the bathroom as I heard the shower water turn off.

I listened to him walk around the bathroom turn the sink on and off, brush his teeth, etc. before he opened the bathroom door and began to walk out of the room. I closed my eyes to make it seem like I was asleep because I didn't want to interact with him anymore than the few words we had exchanged earlier that night.

The door creaked as he opened it, but I heard him pause in the doorway.

"Goodnight, Gabby," He said and waited for an answer "I love you."