FIFTEEN

I was standing in the mirror with a towel wrapped around my waist, slicking back my hair into a bun when Jack walked in with his button-down shirt, pants, and a tie hanging around his neck.

"Are you still going to talk to Sadie?" I asked as he grabbed his toothbrush and toothpaste.

"Yeah, I was going to bring up what we talked about yesterday and stuff." He said while putting toothpaste on his toothbrush.

"If it's an inconvenience, please don't. I don't want you risking anything or even putting your job in jeopardy because of any of this." I dropped my arms down to my sides.

"I'm not. We are both mature colleagues." He started to brush his teeth.

I let out a sigh as I smoothed down a few stray hairs on my head, then headed back into our bedroom to put my clothes on.

I put on a black pencil skirt which showed my curves along with a white blouse and a black blazer, and let out a sigh in exasperation as I looked for my heels.

"Jack, have you seen my lip gloss?" I asked as I walked back into the bathroom to search for it.

"Umm— ouu" he cut himself off and I looked back at him to see him admiring my body.

"What?" I smiled while contintung to look.

"You look good. You always look good, but I never see you wear skirts anymore." He chuckled.

"None of my pants are clean so," I shrugged "but have you seen my lip gloss?" I asked again.

"No, but can you tie my tie?" He asked.

"Jack, you know how to tie your own tie." I slightly laughed while walking over to him.

"I know but you do it so much better than me." He shrugged.

I reached up and started to tie his tie and he rested his hands on my hips.

"Jack, you really don't need to bring anything up to her." I said.

"I know, but I kind of want to confront her about it."

"Why?" I asked.

"To know if it was her and to see if there were any ill intentions."

"Jack, she wouldn't admit that. Especially not now. Just leave it alone until further notice. Please." I tightened the last loop on his tie and rested my hands on his shoulders.

"I want to know. I don't know what her answer may be."

"But at what cost?" I asked.

"Gabby, you're being dramatic. It will be fine." He chuckled, then dropped his hands from my sides and walked over to his side of the bed to grab his brief case.

"I have a presentation to give as soon as I get to work, and I'd just like to get through that as well as get this whole mess situated." he added.

-

I sat at my desk, waiting for Ms. Neil again as she was already late for our meeting.

A notification for an email popped up on my screen and I didn't hesitate to click on it.

It read,

Good afternoon Gabrielle,

"I regret to inform you that I cannot make it to our meeting again. I have to be there for one of my boys' talent shows to support him and his performance. I hope to schedule a meeting with you soon!"

I let out a sigh in exasperation as this was the second time that she had done this.

Jack's POV

I walked down the hall of the office building, straightening my tie.

I was going to show up to the conference room at least 15 minutes early to set everything up. Gabby suggested I do it and I figured it would be my best bet anyway.

As soon as I approached the door, I noticed talking from the other side of it.

I couldn't help but furrow my eyebrows as I gently opened the door.

I was met with the sight of Sadie giving a presentation and a few of the other people sitting in to listen. They all turned their heads or looked up at me, grabbing the attention from her and placing it on me.

"Sorry, I.. I must have the wrong room." I chuckled, trying to break the tension.

"Oh, no. This is the right room, Mr. Gilinsky. You just showed up late. You're welcome to sit in on this though." Sadie said, then before I could answer, got back to my presentation.

I was stunned as she continued on like this wasn't right at all.

I reluctantly sat down at the table with everyone else and just listened in as she chattered on about this.

-

"Thank you so much for your time. I hope you all got something out of this." She concluded her presentation and everyone clapped.

As everyone got up to leave and started to exit the office, I noticed her start to clean up so I took this as my chance to confront her about it.

"Hey, Sadie. What's.. what's going on? You knew this was my presentation." I asked as I approached her.

"It was, but I had to take over. You didn't show up on time." She paid no mind to me.

"Yes I did. I was supposed to give my presentation at 9:30 and I showed up at 9:15."

"No, Jack," she stood up straight and faced me "The meeting got rescheduled to 9:00. I wanted to tell you, but I didn't want your wife to try and beat my ass or something." She said then carried on.

"You know you could have contacted me and told me. What's your problem?" I asked.

"I don't have one. I gave you an explanation." She pushed past me with the poster board in her hands.

"Did you assault me at a party?" I blurted out, causing her to stop and turn around to face me.

"What?" She asked.

"At a party like.. eight years ago. Did you harass me?" I asked again.

"You sound ridiculous." She scoffed.

"I'm being serious. There are pictures in existence as proof. Did you do it?" I said sternly while putting my hands in my pockets.

She seemed hesitant, but answered "No, of course not. I wasn't even someone who went to parties." She said the. Stormed out, leaving me in the conference room by myself.