FORTY-TWO

Saturday Morning

I woke up to Jack's alarm and let out a groan before he turned it off.

"Sorry babe," he said in a raspy voice before leaning over to lay a kiss on my cheek.

He got up and walked to the bathroom while I pulled the covers further over my body and tried to fall back asleep.

"Ya know, you should come with me on my run." He called from the bathroom.

"I'm pregnant." I responded bluntly.

"Then we can walk."

"I'm good. You can FaceTime me while you're on your run though."

"It'll be fun. We can walk around the neighborhood and pick something up to eat then bring it back."

"But my pregnant woman ankles are just so swollen" I lied as he walked back into the room and over to my side of the bed.

"You haven't gotten to that part of the pregnancy yet." He leaned down and kissed my lips.

"I think you should just run as far as your legs will take you. Then when you feel tired, I'll pick you up and we can get food." I suggested

He let out a sigh "that sounds good I guess, you should really come with me one day though. It's so relaxing."

"I bet it is." I nodded my head, still trying to fall asleep.

"I'll see you when you when you pick me up then," he said as he grabbed his AirPods and wallet from his nightstand.

"I'll see you then, stay safe." I muttered.

"I will." He said as he walked out of the room.

About fifteen minutes after he left, I decided to get up so I could start my day. I went to the bathroom and washed my face. As I dried off my face and neck I noticed my small baby bump. Even though I'm not that far in, it still feels like it gets bigger with each passing day.

I turned to the side and observed the small protruding part of my stomach.

I let out a sigh as I dropped my arms down to my side, hoping everything goes well throughout this pregnancy.

My phone buzzed on the counter, interrupting my thoughts and I looked over at the screen to see who texted me.

Hayes' unsaved number showed on the screen attached to a Goodmorning text.

I rolled my eyes and picked up the phone to turn it off before heading downstairs.

I grabbed a mug from the cabinet and walked over to the Keurig machine we have on our kitchen counter. I set the mug in the spot under the dispenser and placed a little tea pod in it before closing it and turning it on.

As I waited for the water to get hot and make my tea, my phone dinged again, reminding me that I got a text message. In response, I turned my phone on vibrate and set it back down on the counter.

Not even thirty seconds later I started to get a call from Hayes' number.

"What the fuck do you want?" I muttered to myself as I rolled my eyes and ignored the call, letting it buzz.

I decided to just let it ring and act like I was still asleep.

As soon as the call ended, my phone began buzzing again and I realized that he wasn't going to stop until I picked the phone up.

I reluctantly slid my finger accross the screen to accept the call and put it on speaker.

"What do you need, Hayes?" You could hear the annoyance in my voice.