THIRTY-FIVE

1 week later

Everything has been going smoothly so far. I was able to get my number changed which got rid of the annoying threads from Hayes and his burner phones.

Jack and I are still at his parents' house, enjoying our stay. We've been keeping our minds busy with work from home as well as spending time with his parents.

We decided to all pitch in for dinner tonight instead of leaving most of the work to Katherine. Jack brought up the idea, but I think it was just an excuse for him to cook something with meat since his mom is a vegan.

I was setting up four spots at the table for all of us when I felt a pair of hands wrap around my waist, causing me to slightly jump. I looked back to see Jack with a small grin on his face and couldn't help but to smile too.

"How's the food coming?" I asked since he decided to cook steak out on the grill.

"Pretty good actually. I think I should start using our grill at home more." He kissed my cheek before hugging me from behind.

"Alright, diners ready." Kathrine said as she brought her side dish of seasoned, roasted brussle sprouts out

Jack walked back to the kitchen to grab his dish as David walked into the dining room with a bottle of red wine in one hand and a bottle of white wine in the other.

We all sat down around the table and began to pass the food we all made around, earning compliments and good feedback.

Luckily, Jack was mindful enough to take a trip to Whole Foods and make vegan tacos for his mom while he cooked his steak.

"And for my dish, I decided to provide the beverage," David said as he opened the bottle of red wine.

After he poured himself a glass, he attempted to pass the bottle to me, so I took it and passed it to Jack.

"Not into the red wine? I could open the other bottle if you like that one better." He began reaching for the other bottle on the table.

"Oh, no. I just.. don't really do alcohol anymore." I politely stopped him then glanced over at Jack who had a sly grin on his face.

"Here, I'll get you some water instead." Jack offered while getting up.

"Thank you, Jack."

As we were all eating and conversing, Cub scratched at the front door, asking to be let outside. David got up to let him out and after we all heard the door shut, David began walking back to the dining room.

"Honey, someone sent you flowers," he said which caused a look of confusion to fall onto Katherine's face "oh wait," he stopped in his tracks while squinting, trying his best to see who the card on the bouquet was actually sent to "These are for Gabby." He looked up at me while holding them out.

I looked at Jack who was probably thinking the same thing I was as I hesitantly took the flowers from him.

"Thank you," I said while taking them. I checked the card on the bouquet to see who it was from and I already recognized my name written in his handwriting.

My heartbeat immediately picked up as I opened up the small card and it read,

"missing you back home. I can't wait to start over with you and resume our life together.

"Who would send you flowers to our address?" Kathrine asked, breaking the silence.

"It's from Lia and Jack Johnson," I looked up at everyone "They wanted us to receive the formal invite to their baby shower." I said and Katherine and David both nodded, but Jack wasn't buying it.