TEN

I sipped on my tea in the kitchen, trying to wake myself up as Jack got ready to go to the gym to workout.

"Babe, go back to bed. You look so tired. It's 9:00 on a Sunday, you'll be fine." He laughed as he grabbed his AirPods from the charger.

"I know, but I need to finish what im working on." I set my mug down and rested my face in my hands.

"What are you working on?" He asked while grabbing a water bottle from the cabinet.

"I'm trying to figure out what other cases I can work on." I lied.

"Ah, I see." He proceeded to fill it up with ice "ok, well, I'm going to head on out then. I'll probably be back in an hour and a half." He came over and kissed my forehead then walked out of the kitchen to the front door.

As soon as I heard his car start up, I searched the kitchen for the letters and found the three unopened envelopes sitting in a drawer.

I grabbed them and sat back down in my spot, opening the one that was sent before the others first.

The first two letters rambled on about the same thing— creating and building a family with me while slandering Jack.

I finally got to the very last letter that was sent, and this one was kind of long.

"My time in prison has really taught me that I wouldn't mind coming back if it means you and Jack are both dead. I love you to death, but I can't stand to see you with someone else, Gabrielle. I've created a reputation for myself here, and I'm doing just fine. The guys would love to see us together, which has really pushed me to get you back. Maybe when we're together again, we can write them back. They said they'd love to see our children and our wedding photos, so I told them as soon as we got married, and as soon as I got you pregnant, we would write back. I can't wait to see you and only you. When I get out, I better not see any sign of Jack or anyone else because I have a bullet with his name on it. We're going to be so happy together. I've been waiting so long to see you again. We have to make up for lost time, and we have so much to catch up on. Lucky for the both of us, the judge is letting me me leave early because of my good behavior. I'm being released on—"

I frantically flipped the paper over to see blank lines.

I heart started to pound in my chest as I realized that he could be released any day now and I'd have no idea.

Yesterday I didn't recall getting the mail, so I headed outside to check the mailbox.

Nothing was there, and since mail doesn't get delivered on Sundays, there was no luck in me finding out today.

I grabbed my phone and decided to call Jack.

I waited for him to pick up, but after it rang, it went straight to voicemail.

"Hey, this is Jack Gilinsky, I'm sorry I can't—" I hung up the phone with a frustrated sigh and didn't know what to do.

I frantically searched the house for yesterday's mail as I was crying and found it sitting on the dining room table. I searched through it, crumpling some mail and throwing it on the floor, but couldn't find the letter.

I heard my phone ringing in the kitchen, and wasted no time to go and pick it up.

"Hello?" Jack answered and sounded out of breath.

"Jack, you need to come home right now." I choked out.

"What's wrong? Are you ok?" I could hear the concern in his voice.

"Just come home now."

"I'm on my way." He said and I hung up.

I could feel a panic attack coming on, as I couldn't gather my thoughts or control my breathing. I could feel the adrenaline rush through my body along with the sudden feeling like someone turned up the heat.