EIGHTY-ONE

I woke up to a pair of lips on my forehead as someone leaned over me.

I slightly flinched and my eyes squinted closed almost as soon as they opened due to the brightness of the room.

"Goodmorning, baby." Hayes said as he stood back up so he was towering over me again.

I didn't answer him, but just pulled the thin blanket that covered me over my head.

"You can't be that tired, you slept all day and night." He said playfully.

I ignored him again and continued to try to fall back asleep.

"You probably want to get up soon," He said as he walked towards the kitchen and away from the couch "since we're having company." He added.

I could hear the sound of the fridge opening and him grabbing things from it and setting stuff onto the counter.

"I got you a few dresses that you could wear. I think any of them would look nice on you so I wanted to let you decide... And I was thinking of going to the store or getting a few personal products for you to order, like hair products, facewash, tampons. Ya know, stuff you might need that I'm willing to let you pick out."

"Please stop talking." I whined to myself.

"What was that?" He asked, oblivious to how annoyed I was.

"Did you want avocado toast or toast with jam?" He asked.

I got up and walked out of the room, towards the stairs.

"You're gonna be even more upset when you're still hungry later." He called after me as I walked up the stairs.

When I got to his room, whose door was the only one that was open, I saw two dresses laying on the bed.

The first one was a white linen dress. It was a low cut, off-the-shoulder, lettuce cut trim. The dress seemed to be mid-length with a string that helped to cinch the waist and keep the rest of it flowy. It was super cute, but gave off some sort of elegant housewife vibe that I refuse to fulfill.

The other one was a sage green dress that was a little more basic. It had a straight cut, so you could tell it would just fit very loosely and flowy, as well as a tighter, frill trim bust area to give at least some shape.

As much as I hate to admit it, Hayes can have taste when he wants to, but I'm not wearing these dresses.

I walked around the bed, grabbing one corner of the comforter and throwing it to the other side of the bed so I could get in, messing up the layout of the dresses in the process.

I got comfortable so I could go back to sleep, but was kept awake by the thoughts of the sad reality of my situation.

After a few minutes went by, I heard Hayes coming up the stairs and entering the room.

"I brought you scrambled eggs and toast with jelly." He said as he sat the plate down on the nightstand along with a glass of ice water. "Do you like the dresses?" He asked as I continued to pretend to be asleep, like I didn't hear a word he was saying.

"I can see you blinking, Gabby. I know you're not asleep."

"No, I hate them both." I said bluntly.

"It doesn't look like you've even tried them on."

"I don't need to. They're ugly."

"You don't have any other clothes, so you have no other choice."

"I'm going to wear what I have on now."

"No you're not." He scoffed.

"Why? I thought you hated giving other guys a reason to look at me."

"These dresses aren't going to attract the wrong kind of attention. They're modest.  I don't want you to look unpresentable. This is a first impression for my closest friends. You're not wearing pajamas."