Chapter 26

Alec, Avalon, Ryan, Magnus and Luke all stood on the stone balcony of the sanctuary over looking the sea. They all had a hint of sadness and grief in the way they stood as they all looked at a picture of Jocelyn Fairchild, surround by dozens of lit candles in front of it. Tears were forming in all of their eyes, especially Luke's. Jocelyn was his best friend in the whole world and he just lost her to a demon possessed shadowhunter. Avalon gripped onto his hand while Alec rested his hand on Luke's shoulder, both trying to comfort him. Ryan and Magnus did the for them. Holding their hands to let them that they were there for them at this time. 

"Pulvis et umbra sumus." Luke spoke his voice breaking. "For we are all dust and shadows. Jocelyn Fairchild,  Ave atque vale. Hail and farewell." The tears started to fall down Luke's face as Alec waved his hand over the lit candles. The little flames danced into the night sky, joining the starts on the black stage above them. 

"I'm sorry you couldn't be at the real ceremony." Avalon said soft to Luke who smiled at her weakly. 

"This was nice, thank you." Luke looked at everyone. "Thank you all for doing this." 

"I didn't now Jocelyn." Ryan spoke looking at Avalon who held his hand tightly. "But from what I know about her, she seemed like a good person."

"She was, she was my best friend." Luke wiped the tears away from his eyes. "I, um, I need to clear my head can you portal to you where?" He asked making Alec and Avalon look at him with unease in their eyes. 

"Do you promise not to hurt anyone?" Alec questioned. "Or yourself?" Luke nodded. Alec hesitantly opened to the place Luke wanted to go. They all watched as the alpha were wolf walked through. As Luke disappeared through the portal there was an uneasy silence between the group until Avalon broke it. 

"Well now off to the library." She muttered walking away from the group making them all a little confused. 

"Um why?" Ryan called after her.

"To figure out what Valentine is going to do with the soul sword."Avalon yelled back and taking Ryan's hand, with Magnus and Alec ran after her and joined her in the library and started to read book after book, seeing if they could find any little detail about the sword that they didn't already now to see what kind of twisted plan Valentine might have in store.

_______________________________________________________________________________ 

Over that the New York institute, Clary was scribbling on a piece of paper in her bedroom the rune she had used to burn the demon at Iris's when she tried to bring her mother back from the dead. Which now looking back on the idea it was a bad one. Jace was also in her room flipping through the gray book, trying to see if he could find the the rune. "Yeah I'm not seeing it in the gray book." He huffed out in frustration. 

"Well, isn't that thing supposed to have every single rune?" Clary pointed to the book with a look of confusion on her face. 

"Some of them are removed. They're reserved for the most elite members of the Clave. And the Mortal Guarding marking aren't in here, but they are in every other book that has the story about them, but to be fair their marks aren't runes ." 

"I'm not exactly elite, and what are the Mortal Guardians?" Clary saw Jace bit his lip debating whether or not to tell her what he had learnt form Hodge in his time in the City of Bones. He turned to her seeing the look on her face knowing she wouldn't let him leave without giving her answer. 

"The Mortal Guardian are a Shadow-world legend, the mundane's don't even have a version of it."

"Well what is it about?"