Chapter 40

After walking, well more like storming out of their sisters office after a little fight with a certain red-head, Alec and Avalon lingered in one of the institutes hallways just trying to figure out what to do next about the situation they were all in. The fact that Valentine was hunting them again, with Johnathan help which only made both the twins worry more. On top of the fact that Clary was still believing that her brother could be saved, and they hadn't gotten around to the fact that her brother was just Sebastian in a very powerful glamour. Let's just say it's been a very stressful day for the both of them. "Who you texting?" Alec questioned Avalon as she pulled out her phone. 

"Ryan. I told him that I would meet up with him today but I have to push it back after what just happened." Avalon sound dishearten when she had to push back her plans with her boyfriend. Alec sighed sharing the feeling. 

"I would meet up with Magnus but he is stuck in a Downworld cabinet meeting in the Seelie realm with the Seelie Queen." 

"Along with Luke." Avalon added. "Who are both, no doubt being squeezed of any information about us from what I've heard of the Queen."

"That she's manipulative and a bitch?" 

"That's one way to put it. Alec what are we going to?" Avalon asked, finally addressing the elephant in the room, well hallway in this case. Alec shook his head. 

"I don't know." He admitted. "What are we supposed to do hide? Again? That didn't really work last time. Valentine somehow made the calls of the instruments hurt us. Well not that they didn't hurt us before they just used there power on us in a way. But they never trapped us in a coma. "

"The mirror did in a way, and I wasn't talking about the Valentine thing, I was talking about the other thing. What Izzy said about if we know another way to raise the angel." There was along silence between the two of them as Alec refused to look at his sister who was just giving her the all famous 'really face' as he knew what she was talking about. "Alec we both know the other way is, and I think we both agree that we both do not want it happen."  

"Of course I don't want it to happen. But no one else knows how to do if apart from us. "Alec said in a whisper shout trying to make sure that he wasn't over heard by anyone in particular. 

"Because we never told anyone." Avalon shouted back "We were fifteenth when we found out and it scared the hell out of us. But this is Valentine we'er talking about. The man who always finds some way to get he wants. He'll anything and he doesn't care who stands in his way. And to this day we still haven't told anyone, because it does still scare us, it's why we never told Luke, Ryan or Magnus, we need to tell someone." 

"Tell someone what?" both Alec and Avalon whipped their heads about to see their little brother Max Lightwood standing at the end of the hallway, hand behind his back looking as innocent as ever as if he wasn't hiding something.

"Nothing." Alec said smiling as he ans Avalon walked over to their brother, bending down so they were eye level with him, finding it a little weird that he was trying to keep a calm face around the both of them. "What are you up to?" Alec questioned the boy who shrugged every so innocently.

"Nothing." 

"Oh really then whats behind your back?" Avalon questioned seeing the mischievous look in her little brothers eyes. 

"Nothing." Max defend again. 

"Max your talk to two people who have done a lot of sneaking in their lives, and shall we say have mastered the art of knowing when something is off with someone. So I'll ask again, what's behind your back?" Max sighed in defeat knowing there was no point in trying to hide it from Alec and Avalon, they would just find out some other way. They were the mortal guardians after all. Reluctantly, Max gave in showing is brother ans sister what it tried from them. A single strand of blonde hair. 

"You were tracking someone?" Alec questioned, with Max nodding not saying anything.

"Um Alec." Avalon pointed to the strand of hair in her brothers hand which had started to slowly glow getting brighter with each second that passed. Meaning whoever Max was attempting to track was getting closer to the trio. "Max who were you tracking?" Avalon questioned in a bit of a desperate tone with all of them hearing the footsteps getting louder. 

"That would be me apparently." The twins saw the fear that seemed to taken control of their little brother after hearing the all to familiar British voice they that all dreaded. Turning around to see Sebastian standing at the end of the hall hiding max behind them as best as they could. 

"Guys he's." Max tried to warn Alec and Avalon who cut him off not letting him say another word. 

"We know Max." Alec spoke. "He know who you really are." He glared at the blonde who smiled cockily. 

"Do you now?" Sebastian laughed as Avalon de-glamoured her war fans she had brought with her, just in case they landed in a situation like this one right now. Both the twins eyes started to glow gold, readying  for a fight against Johnathan Morgenstren. "That's not going to happen." Out of the blue Alec and Avalon fall to their knees, covering their ears, making them both shout in pain as Avalon dropped her fans, making a clanging sound as they fell to the wooden floor. Max looked at Johnathan in horror. 

"What are you doing to them!!!!???" He shouted. 

"The only thing that can hurt them." Sebastian/Johnathan pulled out their phone which seemed to be sending out some sort to sound that neither he or Max could hear, but only the twins could "Although it doesn't hurt them as much now does it? You've both gotten stronger haven't you." 

"Go to hell." Alec said in a weak voice as he and Avalon collapsed to the floor, their ears now bleeding from the pain that Johnathan caused them to feel. 

"Been there done that." Sebastian/Johnathan looked at Max who had picked up his sisters war fans. Preparing himself for a fight even though he knew he stood no chance. "Now you have to be dealt with. " The blonde glowered. "Isabelle taught you well with tracking, a little to well." The twins looked over that their brother. Their own vision becoming blurred as they became weaker and weaker. They knew what was happening t them. Johnathan was using the calls of the instrument to hurt them, much like what Valentine did when he captured them. They could vaguely see Max standing against Johnathan. they had to get him out of here before he got himself killed. 

Using their last drop of strength, they summoned a portal behind their little brother. Sending a small push of magic sending Max through the golden portal disappearing into thin air as the portal closed. Leaving the twins to let darkness take hold of them. Johnathan breathed in to calm himself. He had hopped to kill the youngest the Lightwood, the boy being a thorn in his side. But no matter, he had what he came for. The Guardians weakened right in front of him ready to be used to fulfill his and his fathers plan to rise the angel and reshape the Shadow-world as they saw fit.

A/N

 Where did Max go? Until next time. Also what do you thin Alec and Avalon were talking about before Max came?