Chapter 10

"It just looks like a wine class." Clary said as she held the Mortal cup on her hand looking at Jace, after sharing a kiss with him. Both of them didn't really know what to think of each other after that.

"That wine glass saved your life." Jace stated, looking into the Fairchild's green eyes.

"What if... What if I hadn't gotten the Cup out in time? That demon–"

"But you did. First rule of Shadowhunting... when something explodes, just keep walking. Never think twice. Never look away." Jace explained and Clary nodded as she looked at him.

"And whats the seconded rule?" she asked with a smile as the cup was ripped out of her hands by Isabelle's whip.

"There's nothing a Shadowhunter can't do in heels." Isabelle smirked as she walked down to Clary handing her back the cup. Clary smiled as she put the cup back into the taro card where it was once hidden from everyone. Suddenly the lights in the institute started to flicker.

"Is that suppose to happen?" She asked pointing to the lights. Both Jace and Isabelle shook their heads. All of the monitors were being turned off one by one by an unknown source. Everyone started to look around to see what was causing this to happen. All at once the lights switched off, plunging them all into darkness. Clary could feel her breathing becoming faster as she panicky searched her bag for the witchlight Jace had given her. Jace and Isabelle had also pulled out their witchlights along with everyone else. The bright white glow highlighted the calm but scared look plastered on everyone's face.

All of the Shadowhunters had pulled out there weapons. "Someone's cut the power." Isabelle said preparing her whip to fight the unknown enemy. The airy silence that had filled the room was broken by the distance sound of metal clashing in the distance. One by one Clary witness witchlight after witching fall to the floor losing there angelic glow.

"Jace what's happening?" Clary asked as the sound of metal clashing grew louder and louder as Shadowhunter after Shadowhunter disappeared in the darkness fighting with the unknown attacker.

"I don't know." The blonde Shadowhunter replied. Silence filled the room again as the lights flicked back on to revel not one but two attackers cloaked head to toe in leather Shadowhunter gear. Metal masks covered their faces, reminding Clary of the death eaters from the Harry Potter movies that Simon made her watch we she was little, along with Alec and Avalon. She could tell that the attackers where a man and a woman. The woman held metal japanese war fans pointed towards Clary and Isabelle's throat. The man had an arrow notched in his bow pointed at Jace's head. Both showing no emotion in the way they stood.

In this moment of fear Clary scanned the area and saw every Shadowhunter laying on the floor, unconscious but not dead. Everyone in the room stood still as if time had stopped for a minute. Jace and Isabelle looked at each other, communicating without speaking. Both of them decide to take action, Isabelle threw her whip around the woman's ankle, knocking her down to the ground. Jace kicking the man in the stomach making him stubble back. But both of the attackers were in faze at this, getting straight up and readying themselves to fight. Clary watched as Jace and Isabelle engage in their own fights with the intruders. She gripped onto the taro card for dear life not knowing what to do. The red-head stood there, frozen.

Clary continued to watch the fights, as she saw Jace and Isabelle losing. She saw the woman catch Isabelle's whip in her hand and pull Isabelle towards her with the whip, knocking her out with a head but and Isabelle laid unconscious on the floor. Meanwhile Jace was trying and failing to land any blow on the man, until he was knocked out with a spinning roundhouse kick,also sending him to the floor unconscious. Now Clary had an arrow pointed to her head while the woman stood beside the man, folding her war fans and putting them away in her leg holsters.