Chapter 5: Together

Hope's POV:

"All our work is gone. Ultron cleared out. He used the internet as an escape hatch." Bruce says, shuffling through their files. "Ultron?" Steve asks, tightening his grip around me. He hasn't let me go since I got back. 

"He's been in everything. Files, surveillance. Probably knows more about us than we know about each other." Nat says. "He's in your files, he's in the internet. What if he decides to access something more exciting?" Rhodey asks. "Nuclear codes." Maria says, catching on. 

"Nuclear codes. Look, we'll need to make a few calls. Assuming we still can." He says. "Nukes? He said he wanted us dead." Nat says. "He didn't say dead, he said extinct." Steve clarifies. "He also said he killed somebody." Clint adds. "But there wasn't anyone else in the building." I say. 

"Yeah there was." Tony suddenly speaks up. We all turn to him. He taps his hologram device and what I assume was once an orb full of information is now destroyed on the ground. "This is insane." Bruce says. 

"Jarvis was the first line of defense, he would have shut Ultron down, it makes sense." Steve says. "No, Ultron could have assimilated Jarvis. This isn't strategy, this is rage." Bruce says. Suddenly Thor walks back in, full armor on. 

He walks right up to Tony and grabs him by the throat. "Whoa, whoa." Rhodey says. "It's going around." Clint adds. "Use your words buddy." Tony says. "I have more than enough words to describe you Stark." Thor says. Steve steps up. "Thor, the legionnaire." He urges. He drops Tony. 

"The trail went cold 100 miles out, but it's headed north, and it has the scepter. Now we have to retrieve it again." He says. "The genie's out of that bottle. Clear and present is Ultron." Nat says. "I don't understand, you built this program, why is it trying to kill us?" I ask Tony. 

He just starts laughing. I glare at him. "You think this is funny?" Thor asks. "No, it's probably not, is it?" He asks. My eyes widen in shock. Unbelievable. "Is this really terrible? Is it-it-it is, it's so terrible." He says, still laughing. "It could have been avoided if you hadn't played with something you don't understand." Thor says. 

"No, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. It is funny. It's a hoot that you don't get why we need this." Tony says. "Tony, maybe this might not be the time." Bruce says. "Really? That's it? You just roll over, show your belly every time somebody snarls?" Tony asks. 

"Only when I've created a murder bot." "We've didn't, we weren't even close. Were we close to an interface?" Tony asks. Bruce just shrugs. "Well you did something right, and you did it right here. The Avengers were supposed to be different than SHIELD." Steve says. 

"Anybody remember when I carried a nuke through a wormhole?" He asks. "No, it's never come up." Rhodey says sarcastically. "Saved New York?" He asks. "Nope, never heard of it." Rhodey says. 

"Recall that? A hostile alien army came charging through a hole in space. We're standing 300 ft. below it. We're the Avengers. We can bust arms dealers all the live long day, but that  up there, that's...that's the endgame. How were you guys planning on beating that?" He asks. 

"Together." Steve says. "We'll lose." "Then we'll do that together too." I step up now. "Thor's right, Ultron is calling us out. Now I for one would like to find him before he's ready for us." I say. "The world's a big place. Let's start making it smaller." Steve says. He turns to me. 

"Could you track him? I know he's not human, but-" "I can try, I just need a few ingredients." I say. He nods and I exit the room, headed towards my room where I keep all my witch things. I grab a bowl, some dried rose petals, and a knife. 

I walk back into the lab where everyone is waiting for me. I hand the bowl to Nat. "Fill that with water, Tony, come here." I say, kneeling. "I've never seen her do magic." Rhodey whispers to Maria. I smirk as Tony kneels in front of me. I place the bowl of water in between the two of us. 

I sprinkle the rose petals into the bowl and close my eyes, taking a deep breath. "Hand." I tell him. He gives me his hand and I cut it with the knife. He winces, but lets me turn his hand over and allows the blood to drip into the clear water. 

I cut my hand and drip my own blood into the bowl. "Cross your hands and place them in mine." I instruct. He nods and crosses his hands. I cross my own and link our hands. I close my eyes as I begin to chant. 

"Ma te ak san sou ki à lumière la fille. Ma te ak san sou ki à lumière la fille. Ma te ak san sou ki à lumière la fille." I gasp as I am pulled into a vision. I only get flashes. A church, I can tell by the cross on top. A chair in the middle of the church. On it sits a cloaked figure. 

Two figures approach the one sitting. The twins. I gasp again as I am thrown out of the vision. I let go of Tony's hands and breath deeply. Steve is by my side in an instant, kneeling, and wrapping an arm around my shoulders, trying to calm me down. 

"He's in a church and he's recruiting the twins Strucker enhanced with the scepter." I tell them. "Where is the church?" Clint asks. "I don't know, I didn't get a good look, but it has a giant chair, almost like a throne in the middle of it." I describe. 

"You did great." Steve says, kissing the top of my head. I nod and cling onto him. The twins are scared and confused, they're going to do something they regret if he can convince them. I look down at the bowl with blood filled water. 

I can only hope we can convince them before it's too late.