Chapter 4: A Talk With Aunt Freya and The Intruder

Hope's POV:

Once we reach the main level we go our separate ways. I head to my locker and change. Once I'm dressed I grab my things and leave. Steve is waiting for me in the lobby. "What movie are we tackling tonight?" I ask. "I don't know, it's your pick tonight. I picked last night." He says.

I think for a moment before grinning. "We can finish I Love Lucy. We didn't get to the other day." I tell him. He smiles and nods. "Sounds good to me. Hey would you mind coming with me to the museum with me again. I know it's the thi-" Steve's it's fine. I'm happy to go." I say smiling.

"See you there?" He asks I nod, smiling. With that we head off to our respective vehicles. Steve left his bike here after the last mission and I've been carting him around since. We speed off down the road, me trailing him all the way to the museum.

He always feels bad about asking me to go with him, but I don't mind it. He's always there for me so I'm always there for him. Whether it's binging I Love Lucy or visiting the Smithsonian together. When we reach the museum we park next to each other.

Steve still has shield on his back. I smile. "You know, I think that's you're being a little obvious with that thing." I say. He just smiles and tosses it into my car before I lock it up. Once that's done me throws on a hat and we enter the museum.

There's a huge exhibit here over Captain America and the Howling Commandos. We quickly find it and trail behind the tour that's going on. I always laugh when I see what he used to look like. All scrawny and everything. He nudges me. "Stop laughing."

"Oh come on, even you have to admit it's pretty funny." I laugh. "Yeah well it wasn't funny living it." He mutters. "Sorry." I say, trying to hold back more laughter. We continue on to the uniforms of the Howling Commandos.

One of them always sticks out to me, but I know that I could never ask Steve about him. According to the plaque and the internet James Buchanan Barnes was Steve's best friend who fell off a train right in front of him.

I want to know more, but I can't ask the best source I have about him. Steve don't need to be asked about his dead best friend. He's been through a lot and he doesn't deserve what he's been through. I guess that's why we get along so well. We're each a product of a bad past.

We walk over to the Bucky memorial. there's videos of Steve and Bucky messing around and laughing with each other. He was quite handsome. Steve looks down sadly. I place my hand on his shoulder. "I'm sorry, I know it's hard to talk hear about him." I say. He smiles sadly at.

"Come on, let's go." He tells me. I nod and follow him out of the museum. When we get to the cars he turns to look at me, hesitant. "What's up?" I ask. "I have something I need to do. Shouldn't take me more than two hours. I'll call you when I get home." He tells me. I nod.

"You sure you don't want me to come with you?" I ask, concerned. He just smiles at me. "I'll be fine. I'll see you later." He says. With that he grabs his shield out of my car and gets on his bike, taking off down the road. Sighing I climb into my car and head home.

When I get there I head right up and go into my apartment. When I get there I set my bag and keys on the counter. I run my hand through my hair. I have no idea how long Steve will take. When he goes off like this you never know when he'll return.

I head back to my bathroom and take a shower

I head back to my bathroom and take a shower. Once I'm done I change into some more comfortable clothes and sit on my bed, laptop on. It rings a few times before the image appears. I smile. "Hi Aunt Freya." I say, smiling. "Hey Hope, how was the mission?" She asks.

I raise my eyebrows at her. "Right, sorry, don't ask about assignment, I know. Do you know when you're going to come back and visit?" She asks me. I shake my head. "No, Steve is kinda going through it and I need to be here for him." I explain. She smirks at me.

"Steve? The man you fought with in New York? The man that came to visit you when you were taking time off?" She asks. "Yes, that Steve." I say. "He was cute." I groan. "Don't start. Nat already thinks that we're meant for each other." I say.

"Well from everything you've told me you are. Hope, it's ok to be unsure about love. Hell, do you know how confused I was about Keelin? I'd only dated and pursued men before her." She tells me. I sigh. "I know, and I get that everyone has that one epic love, I don't think mine is Steve."

She smiles at me. "Hope, I'm not gonna tell you what to do, but I will tell you this. Don't be afraid to pursue someone just because you're protecting another relationship." She tells me. I smile and nod. "I'll keep that in mind." With that the topic of boys is dropped.

We talk for a few more hours before I get a text from Steve saying that he's headed up. "Hey Aunt Freya, I gotta go, but I'll call you later." I tell her. "Ok, goodnight." "Goodnight." With that I hang up. I text Steve telling him that I'll meet him outside his apartment.

Once I'm done I slip on some house shoes and head towards the door. I open it just in time to overhear Steve's conversation with our neighbor Kate. "Coffee?" Steve asks. Is he asking her out? Well, this is what I get for assuming.

"Thank you, but I already have a load in downstairs, and you really don't want my scrubs in your machine. I just finished a rotation in the infectious disease ward, so..." "Ah, well, I'll keep my distance." "Hopefully not too far." "Oh and I think you left your stereo on." She tells him.

With that she walks downstairs. Sighing loudly to announce my presence I walk into the hallway fully. Steve's attention snaps towards me. Despite the let down I put on my signature smirk. "Well that went well." I tease. "Haha. Hey, did you go into my apartment?" He asks.

I furrow my brows. "No, why?" I ask. "Because I didn't leave my stereo on." He tells me. My eyes widen and I look towards the door. We both advance quietly. Someone is inside. Who? Steve stops me before we go inside. "Your apartment, through the fire escape." He whispers.

I nod, understanding. I go towards my door when I notice his going the other way. "Where are you going?" I ask him. "My shield is still on my bike." He tells me. My eyes widen in shock. "Steve that is a very important piece of metal." I chide. "Can we not do this right now?" He asks.

I roll my eyes. "This is not over." I whisper before heading into my apartment and climbing over to his fire escape. On my way I grab a gun. A second later he appears on the scape next to me. I nod to him and he nods back. Steve goes in first and I follow quickly behind.

We sneak around the corner, making sure to be as quiet as possible. He peaks his head around slowly before relaxing. I look at him questioningly and he nods his head for me to step out and see for myself. With a deep breath I step out.