Chapter 11: Resurrection

Steve's POV:

When we reach Sam's house Natasha knocks on the screen door. I then hear footsteps and the door is sliding back to reveal Sam himself. "I'm really sorry about this, but we need a place to lay low." I tell him. "Everyone we know is trying to kill us." Natasha tells him.

"Not everyone." He says, stepping aside and allowing us to come in. "What happened to her?" He asks, gesturing to Hope. "She's dead." Natasha says bluntly. His eyes widen. "Sort of, is there a place I can put her?" I ask. He nods, unsure, leading me to a room with a bed in it.

I set her down and the reaction is almost immediate. There's a gasp and Hope's still figure bolts upright.

Hope's POV:

I gasp as my eyes shoot open and I sit upright. I start breathing heavily. My memories start to come back to me when I notice someone rubbing my back gently and trying to calm me down. I'm in a bedroom which is weird.

The last thing I remember is hitting the concrete wall after a missile hit the SHIELD facility where they were keeping Zola. I look over to see who is trying to calm me down. My breathing evens out when I realize that it's Steve. He looks concerned. I would be too, hell, I was dead.

"Are you ok? What do you need? Do you need blood?" He asks. I start to think about it. Do I need blood? Did I die? If I did, was the spell that I used right before I died effective? I hope so. I start to regain the ability to think clearly.

I'm not hungry, my gums, don't hurt, and my senses seem normal. I'm  also not feeling the urge to tear out Steve's jugular. "I'm fine, I'm fine." I say once I'm sure that I'm right. "You sure? Shouldn't you be in transition?" He asks. I shake my head.

"Right before I died I cast a spell so that I would resurrect when I died, a one time charm. I got lucky with the short amount of time I had." I say, smiling a little. Steve looks more than relieved. In fact, as soon as the words are out, he pulls me into his arms, hugging me tightly.

"You have no idea how relieved I am that you're ok and yourself." He mutters into my hair. I squeeze back, smiling. "Hope?" I hear from the doorway. I look and see Nat, standing there, cautiously. I smile. "I'm me, nothing changed." I reassure her.

She smile and rushes me, pulling me into another embrace. "Thank you for being ok." I nod. "When we pull away I look around me. "Now, where are we?" I ask. "A friend's." Steve says, reassuring me. It doesn't help though, a few friends have already tried to kill us.

Then the man he was talking to when I picked him up from jogging the morning before the last mission walks into the room. He looks shocked when he sees me sitting up. Probably because I was dead when we came in. "How the hell-" "It's a long story." I say, not wanting to get into it.

He just nods, still looking shocked. "Uh, I was just gonna say that y'all can take a shower if you need to." He says before walking out. I hold back a laugh. "Hope, you may want to shower, I think the two of us will just need a rinse." Nat says. I nod and get off the bed.

My legs are still wobbly, but I make it to the bathroom. I close the door and turn on the shower. While it heats up I look at my reflection in the mirror. I'm a horror story. Blood is staining my face from my temple and my hair line. Besides the dusty and dirt on it, my white shirt is blood free.

I take off my clothes and step into the shower with the water scalding hot. I wash myself and get out. I go to put on the dirty clothes from yesterday when Steve knocks on the door. "We took the truck to get here, your bag with extra clothes is outside the door."

I knew I pack those for a reason. Smiling I go to the door and pop my hand out, feeling for the clothes. When I find them I grab them an drag them into the bathroom with me. I quickly get dressed before combing through my ratty hair with my fingers.

Once it's smooth-ish I grab the bag along with a jacket a packed, and didn't put on, and exit the bathroom

Once it's smooth-ish I grab the bag along with a jacket a packed, and didn't put on, and exit the bathroom. When I do Sam walks into eh room. "I made breakfast if you eat that sort of thing." He says, unsure of what to say. I even notice the tension in the room. It's not good.

Not knowing what else to do, we all exit the room and follow him through the house to the kitchen/living room area. "The question is, who at SHIELD could launch a domestic missile strike." Nat says. "Pierce." Steve says. I nod. I knew that guy was sketchy.

"Who happens to be sitting atop the most secure building in the world." "But he's not working alone. Zola's algorithm was on the Lemurian Star." I say. "So was Jasper Sitwell." Nat realizes. Son of a bitch.

"So the real question is, how do the three most wanted people in Washington kidnap a SHIELD officer in broad daylight?" Steve says. Sam then comes up to us. "The answer is, you don't." He says. I look at him confused. Sam drops something in front of Steve. "What's this?" He asks.

"Call it a resume." Steve grabs it and looks it over. Nat and I go around to look at it. "Is this Bakhmala? The Khalid Khandil mission, that was you?" Nat asks. Sam nods. "You didn't say he was as Pararescue." She says, handing Steve back the file.

"Is this Riley?" Steve asks, meaning the man in the picture next to Sam. Sam nods. "Yeah." "Heard they couldn't bring in the choppers because of the RPGs. What did you use, a stealth chute?" Nat asks.

"No. These." He hands Steve the rest of the file that was laying under the picture. "I thought you said you were a pilot." "I never said pilot." I look over his shoulder. The wings themselves are impressive. "I can't ask you to do this Sam. You got out for a good reason."

"Dude, Captain America needs my help. There's no better reason to get back in." Steve smirks. "Where can we get our hands on these things?" "The last one is at Fort Meade. Behind three guarded gates and a 12-inch steel wall. Steve and Nat look at me and I smirk.

"That shouldn't be a problem."