Chapter 5: What Good Am I?

Hope's POV:

I do as directed to see Fury sitting in one of his chairs, listening the record player I got him a year ago. I sigh in relief and place my gun on the counter top, running my hand through my hair. "I don't remember giving you a key." Steve says. Fury grunts as he sits up.

"You really think I need one?" He asks. I roll my eyes. "My wife kicked me out." He says. I scrunch my eyebrows. "I didn't know you were married." Steve says, walking further into the room. "There's a lot of things you don't know about me." He says. "I know Nick. That's the problem."

Fury halts us and turns off the lights, not saying a word. Fury holds up his phone. 'Ears everywhere.' Is typed out on his phone. "I'm sorry to have to do this, but I had no place else to crash." He tells us. 'SHIELD compromised.' What? "Who else knows about your wife?" I ask.

'You two and me.' "Just my friends." He says. "Is that what we are?" Steve asks. "That's up to you." He says. Suddenly there is a gun shot and Fury cries out. I scream. More shots through the window. I cry out in pain as one of the bullets enters my leg. "HOPE!" Steve yells.

He grabs Fury's arm and drags him behind a wall and I limp over to him. Shaking Fury holds out something towards Steve. A flash drive. "Don't trust anyone but each other." He grunts out. Tears are in my eyes now as I nod. I groan in pain as I sink to the floor.

My leg is bleeding profusely. "Hope, your leg." "Don't mind me." I groan. Suddenly there is a banging on the door before it busts open. "Captain Rogers? Captain?" I hear. It's our neighbor. Kate. "I'm Agent 13, SHIELD special service." She says. My eyes widen. "Kate?" He asks.

"I'm assigned to protect you and Agent Mikaelson." She says. "On who's order?" Steve asks. "His." She says. "His." She breathes, pointing to Fury who is now lying motionless on the ground. She kneels by his side and checks his pulse. After that she takes out a walkie.

"Foxtrot is down. He's unresponsive. I need EMTs." She tells them. My eyes widen. She then turns to me. "Your leg-" "Don't, just get the bullet out and I can heal myself." I tell her. Steve looks at me worried. "I'm fine." I reassure, but the tears running down my cheeks don't help my cause.

"Do we have a twenty on the shooter?" A voice asks on the other side. Steve looks out the window. "Tell them I'm in pursuit." He says. He glances at me. "Go." I say. He nods and takes off. "You're gonna have to hold still. I'm gonna get the bullet out." She says. I nod.

With that her fingers dig into my leg. I hold back a scream. Soon the bullet is out and I'm healing myself. I'm good as new by the time the EMTs show up. They take Fury right before Steve returns. "Hope." He says, walking over and engulfing me in a hug.

"I'll wait for you to change and then we'll go to the hospital." He tells me. I nod. "Thanks." I say, smiling. He looks down at my leg one more time. "I'm fine, see? Not even a scar." I tell him. He smiles. "Go change." I nod and race out of the apartment and into my own.

I quickly throw on some clothes

I quickly throw on some clothes. Once I'm dressed I grab my leather jacket and walk out of my apartment to find Steve waiting right outside my door. "You ready?" He asks. I nod. "Let's go." With that we walk downstairs to his bike. 

I hate riding this thing, but I bite back a groan and climb on behind him. I wrap my arms tightly around his waist and he takes off towards the hospital. When we get there Fury is in surgery and we're led to the viewing room. A few minutes later Nat shows up. I pull her into a hug. 

No matter how much Fury pissed me off, he helped Phil raise me. He's guided me since I was 16. He can't die. When we pull apart the three of us watch as the doctors preform surgery on Fury. He's not doing well. Through the glass I can hear his heartbeat slowing down. 

I reach out grip Steve's hand in mine. He just squeezes my hand and doesn't say anything. There is nothing to say at this point. We all wait with baited breaths as Fury's heartbeat slows down more and more. Come on. "Is he going to make it?" Nat asks. 

"We don't know." Steve answers for both of us. "Tell me about the shooter." "He's fast. Strong. Had a metal arm." I don't look at him, but in my mind I am running through all of the possibilities right now. 

I know Fury is a big guy in SHIELD, and not the most likable person, but who could get the jump on him this bad? Maria walks up. "Ballistics?" Nat asks her. "Three slugs, no rifling, and completely untraceable." She says. No, this person doesn't get to get away with this. 

Nat turns to me. "Heard you were shot, you ok?" She asks. I nod. "I'm fine, I can heal myself." I say shortly. She nods and turns back to the glass. Suddenly he's flatlining. I can't watch this. I can't watch him die. 

Steve must realize how bad this is effecting me because he pulls me into his arms and I hide my face in his shoulder. I hear the flatline. No. No, no, no, no, no. I feel tears start to drip from my eyes. Steve just holds me tighter. 

After a few seconds I pull away and he leads me out of the room, not before I hear time of death called. 1:03. We walk out of the room, but Steve stops. When he's sure no one is looking he looks down. In his hand is the flash drive Fury gave him before... 

I shake my head and grab his hand again. He looks at me and we come to a mutual agreement. We can only trust each other. A few minutes go by and a doctor says we can come and look at the body. I can't bring myself to, but I urge Steve to go. 

I sit in the hallway, looking down at my hands. All this magic running through my veins and I can't save the ones I care for. What good am I?