Chapter 4: Caught

Hope's POV:

I sit on the ground surrounded by maps and grimoires. Let's just hope I can find something, anything that can relate to this mission. After about thirty minutes I come across a spell in one of my grandmother's grimoires. It'll give me a vision of what I'm looking for.

I walk around the room and gather the ingredients. I lay down map of the world and make an herb circle around me and the map. I drop dried flowers on top and cut my hand, sprinkling the blood over the flowers and the map. I close my eyes.

Usually this requires two witches, but I hope this'll work for just me. "Inveniet hostium et tenebrae. Inveniet hostium et tenebrae. Inveniet hostium et tenebrae. Inveniet hostium et tenebrae. Inveniet hostium et tenebrae. Inveniet hostium et tenebrae." I mutter.

Flashes of scenes float through my mind. I see Barton on a plane, but nothing else. I go to dig further, but I'm not strong enough alone. That and something takes my mind away from the spell. "What the hell?" I my eyes flash open and the candle flames go out.

I spin around from my seated position to see Steve Rogers standing behind me looking horrified. In his hand he's holding something that looks like a gun. "Steve! I can explain, please." I say, trying to make him not freak out.

He just shakes his head and exits the room, leaving the door wide open for anyone to see. Probably broken from him breaking in. I rush after him, but not before using my magic to close off my room. I chase him into the lab where Banner, Stark, and Fury are.

Steve slams the gun thing onto the table. "Phase 2 is SHIELD uses the cube to make weapons. I'm also guessing that they used it to turn Hope into an enhanced being as well. Sorry, the computer was moving a little slow for me." He says. Banner and Stark's eyes snap towards me.

Fury glares at me. "He walked in on me. I was in the middle of finding Clint." I say, shrugging sheepishly. "First off, we did not use the cube on Agent Mikaelson. I'll let her explain herself to you. Second we gathered everything related to the Tesseract. That does not mean-"

"I'm sorry Nick, what were you lying?" Stark asks, turning a screen around to us. I walk closer. I can't believe it. "You were building weapons with it?" I ask, appalled. "You didn't know?" Bruce asks. I shake my head.

"I was wrong Director, the world hasn't changed a bit." Steve says, glaring at Fury. "Did you know about this?" Bruce asks again, this time to Nat who walks in with Thor right behind her. "You want to think about removing yourself from environment doctor?" Nat asks.

I look at her confused. What the hell is going on here? Bruce laughs humorously. "I was in Calcutta. I was pretty well removed." He says. "Loki is manipulating you." Nat says. "And you've been doing what exactly?" He asks her.

"You didn't come here because I bat my eyelashes at you." She says, walking slowly towards him. "No and I'm not leaving because you suddenly get a little twitchy. I want to know why SHIELD is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction." He says. Fury sighs.

"Because of them." He says, pointing towards Thor and I. I can't believe this. An incredulous look comes over my face. "Me?" Thor asks. "You were building weapons because of me? What the hell? I'm on your side! I've helped you!" I snap, getting angry.

"Last year earth had a visitor from another planet who had a grudge match that leveled a small town. Six years ago we stumbled upon a girl who could do incredible things. Things regular humans can only think about doing." I scoff at this. Seriously?

"Not only that, she came from a school filled to the brim with kids just like her. We learned that not only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously out gunned." Fury says. "My people want nothing but peace with your planet."

"Ok, but you're not the only people out there." Fury says. "They're just kids. Just because we're different doesn't mean we're all murdering psychopaths." I snarl, taking a step towards him.

"No, but look at everyone else in your family. Look at the people who your family has made enemies of. Those kids at the school are not the only supernaturals out there." Fury says. I growl. Nat comes up to me and places a hand on my shoulder, trying to calm me down. I shrug it off.

"Did you know what they were doing? Did you know that after everything I've done to help this organization, they still see me as a threat that they can get rid of?" I ask. She looks down and I back away, hurt. This is why I don't let people in. People lie or they die.

Either way, they always leave. The only person I can count on is myself. "The world is filling up with people who can't be matched. Who can't be controlled." Fury says. "Like you controlled the cube?" Steve asks.

"Your work with the Tesseract is what drove Loki to it, and his allies. It is a signal to all the realms that the Earth is ready for a higher form of war." Thor says. "A higher form?" Steve asks. "You forced our hand. We had to come up with something."

"A nuclear deterrent, because that always calms everything right down." Tony says sarcastically. "Remind me again how you made your fortune Stark." Fury says. "I'm sure if he still made weapons, Stark would be neck-deep-" "I'm sorry, how is this now about me?" Tony asks.

"Oh, I"m sorry, isn't everything?" Steve asks. I roll my eyes. "I thought humans were more evolved than this." Thor says. "It's just that the few of us that are are children being monitored at threats by the government. From the age of five." I quip.

"I'm sorry, do we go to your planet and blow things up?" Fury says, ignoring my comment. Suddenly everyone is arguing. Too many voices. I scrunch my face in pain and block my ears with my hands. I'm already angry. If I shift out of anxiety it will only make the situation worse.

I look over to the staff to see it glowing a bright blue. This is not good. It's probably what has everyone so on edge and angry. Then Bruce starts talking, but he's walking towards the staff. No, no, no, no, no! He starts yelling then he grabs the staff.

"Dr. Banner, put down the scepter." Fury says. Bruce looks down in shock before setting it back on the table roughly. "Sorry kids, I guess you won't get to see my party trick after all." He says, walking away. Then Steve and Tony start arguing again. Give me a break!

I try to think of a way to get everyone's attention all at once. Nothing. I then remember how Emma always got our attention when all the witches were fighting on Coven Day. "Hey!" I try, raising my hands. Nothing. Come on Hope, focus! "I said, HEY!"

This time a shock wave goes out from my hands. Everyone turns to look at me. Thor, Steve, Tony, and Bruce are looking at me with shock. I sigh and lower my hands. I walk over to the staff and gesture to it.

"I may not be a scientist, but I'm pretty sure this means that the staff is manipulating us into an angry state. Think about it, It was able to control the minds of several agents. It could be controlling us." Tony rolls his eyes. Asshole.

"Look. I know you might have been angry already and no one here trusts the person standing next to them, but we need to keep in mind who is the real threat." Fury goes to talk, but I stop him, not wanting to hear anymore lies.

"We can deal with how SHIELD was using the cube after we get it somewhere away from Loki and anyone else who wants to abuse it." The blue stops and I let out a breath of relief. Then something dawns on me. "Or, it's a tracking device." I mumble. "What?" Steve asks.

"Before you stormed in on me I was doing a spell and I had a vision, ask later. Barton on a plane, eyes bright blue. They're tracking the scepter with the cube! Loki didn't fight back against us because he wants to be here. It's a tra-" But I don't get to finish.

An explosion goes off and I am flung forwards.