Chapter 14: Truths Revealed

Hope's POV:

Men come running out of the cars, full swat gear and guns. I am soon surrounded and I don't fight when they lock the power dimming cuffs on me. Steve, Nat, Sam, and I are dragged to an armored car and shoved inside. Steve looks lost. 

His best friend who he thought died in the 40s is alive, young, doesn't remember him, and is trying to kill him. He explains who the Winter Soldier is to Nat and Sam. "It was him, he looked at me like he didn't know me." Steve says. 

"How is that possible? It was like, 70 years ago." Sam says. "Zola. Bucky's whole unit as captured in '43. Zola experimented on him. Whatever he did helped Bucky survive the fall. They must have found him and-" I cut him off, knowing that he is going to start blaming himself. 

"None of that's your fault Steve." "Even when I had nothing, I had Bucky." He says. Nat looks pale. The gunshot wound Bucky gave his is still bleeding. Sam notices it too. "We need a doctor. If we don't put pressure on that wound soon, she's going to bleed out in this truck." Sam says. 

One of the guards takes out an electric baton, seeming to be warning him to shut up. Then something strange happens. The guard flips the baton around skillfully and stabs the other guard. They then kick them in the head, knocking them out. 

When the guard takes off their helmet I smile. "Ah, that thing was squeezing my brain. Who is this guy?" Maria Hill asks. I smirk. "Sam Wilson ma'am." He says. She then turns to me and takes off the shackles. 

"Hope, I need you to help us get out of here." She says, taking off everyone else's restraints. I nod, trying to think of a way that we can get out without them knowing. Then I remember a non verbal teleportation spell Freya taught me that she learned from Dahlia. 

"Everyone hold tight. Maria, visualize where we're going, everyone else, clear your mind." I say. They nod and grab onto me. I close my eyes and concentrate. Come on. Come on. Suddenly I feel weightless. Then I'm falling to the ground. 

When I open my eyes we're in the middle of nowhere with a white van next to us. I look around, everyone is here. "Nice job, come on, everyone in. We don't have much time." Maria says. We all nod and climb in. The drive is short and soon we're coming up on a giant concrete structure. 

We get out and walk inside. Steve is supporting Nat. A man runs up to us. "GSW, she's lost at least a pint." Maria says. "Maybe two." Sam adds. I turn to Nat, asking her an unspoken question. "No, we're all in danger right now, I don't want to die with it." She says. My gaze harshens. 

"You're not gonna die." I say. She nods faintly smiling at me. "Let me take her." The guy says. "She'll want to see him first." Maria says. Who? She leads us to a plastic tarp. When she pulls it aside my heart stops and my eyes widen. Impossible, I saw him die. "About damn time." He says. 

Nicholas Fury is sitting in a makeshift hospital bed fully alive. The doctor leads Nat to two chairs beside the bed and starts putting pressure on the wound. I'm shaking slightly. Steve sees this and wraps his arms around me to comfort me. 

"Lacerated spinal column, cracked sternum, shattered collarbone, perforated liver, and one hell of a headache." He lists off. "Don't forget your collapsed lung." The doctor adds. "Let's not forget about that. Other wise I'm good." "They cut you open, your heart stopped." Nat says. 

"I heard stop." I add, still slightly in shock. By this point I've stopped shaking and Steve has let go of me, minus my hand. That he is squeezing tightly. We both need comfort right now. His face is void of emotion. He thinks he has to deal with this on his own. He doesn't. 

"Tetrodotoxin B. Slows the pules to one beat per minute. Banner developed it for stress. Didn't work so great for him, but we found a use for it." He says. "Why all the secrecy? Why not just tell us?" Steve asks. "Any attempt on the director's life had to look successful." Hill says. 

"Can't kill you if you're already dead. Besides, I wasn't sure who to trust." He adds. We explain to him everything that's going on. He pulls out a picture of Alexander Pierce, studying it for a second.

"This man declined a Nobel Peace Prize. He said 'peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility'. See it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues." Fury says. "We have to stop the launch." Nat speaks up. 

"I don't think the council's accepting my calls anymore." Fury says, opening the brief case next to him. "What's that?" Sam asks, motioning to the three chips in the case. I step closer to get a better look at them. 

"One the helicarriers reach 3000 feet, they'll triangulate with Insight's satellites, becoming fully weaponized." Hill says, showing us a visual. "We need to breach those carriers and switch their targeting blades with our own." 

"One or two won't cut it, we need to link all three carriers for this to work, because if any one of those ships remain operational, a whole lost of people are gonna die." Hill says, looking solemnly at the table.

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is Hydra. We have to get past them, insert these server blades, and maybe, just maybe, we can salvage what's left-" Steve cuts Fury off, not liking what he's saying.

"We're not salvaging anything. We're not just taking down the carriers Nick, we're taking down SHIELD." Steve says, anger in his voice. "SHIELD had nothing to do with this!" Fury shouts at him, trying to get us all to see his side. 

"You gave me this mission, this is how it ends. SHIELD's been compromised, you said so yourself. Hydra grew right under your nose and nobody noticed." "Why do you think we're meeting this cave. I noticed." "How many paid the price before you did?" Steve asks. 

"Look, I didn't know about Barnes." "Even if you had, would you have told me? Or would you have compartmentalized that too? SHIELD, Hydra, it all goes." Steve says. "He's right." Maria tell him. He looks to Nat who nods and leans back in her chair. He then turns to me. 

I nod, agreeing with Steve. If even one Hydra agent gets by us then this will just be repeated in the future. He then turns to Sam. "Don't look at me. I do what he does, just slower." He says. I smile slightly. Sam sure does know how to make light of a situation. 

"Well...it looks like you're giving the orders now, Captain." Fury says, leaning back in his chair. We all turn to look at Steve. "What's the plan?" I ask. Time to take down two massive organizations.