Chapter 44

Hi! I am back with another chapter. Please keep in mind that there will be violence and gore in this chapter. This is your trigger warning so please read with caution. With that said, we are picking up right where we left off. I hope that you enjoy!

Seungcheol groans as he slowly comes to. His chest aches and his body feels heavy. He blinks a couple of times trying his best to clear the black spots appearing in his vision. The sound of screaming sends a chill down his spine and provides him with the adrenaline to bring his body from the floor. He looks around and his chest seizes at what he sees. A cloud of smoke is coming from down the hallway, along with screams of pain. He can hear guns going off and the sounds of swords clashing. Seungcheol grits his teeth and pushes himself to his feet. He takes a deep breath and staggers forward, keeping close to the wall. As he walks, he sees dead vampires on the floor of all ages. He sees mother's holding their children. Guards looking as if they had fought until their final breath. And, of course, vampires that don't belong. The very ones who have invaded the palace and deserve to be swimming in a pool of their blood. Seungcheol hands tighten into fists, the faction is attacking them. They are slaughtering them. Seungcheol eyes flit back and forth as he searches for a weapon. He darts over to a fallen guard, who is gripping a gun in his hand. Seungcheol takes the weapon from him and slowly gets to his feet. He grimaces and charges forward. He shoots at the faction's vampires, who are garbed in a weird face mask. None seem to recognize him as the crown prince so he is able to take them out fairly quickly. As he does so, he helps move the innocents towards the secret exits of the palace. "Help!!!!" A voice screams. Seungcheol turns around to see a child backed into a corner by one of the faction. The girl's parents are limp on the floor beside her, their skin sizzling from what looks like liquid silver. Seungcheol scowls, how could the faction use silver in such a cruel way. They are affected by it, yet they use it as a weapon without any remorse. Seungcheol looks to his side and sees one of the faction vamp's silver daggers. He takes it from its limp hand and charges forward. He shoves the weapon into the vamps neck before kicking him into the side wall. The girl sobs and curls in on herself. Seungcheol sighs and slips the knife into his pocket. He bends down in front of the child and flashes her a small smile, "Hey, hey, it's okay."

The girl whimpers and looks up at Seungcheol with teary eyes, "Y-you're the p-prince..."

"That's right," Seungcheol murmurs, "Are you hurt?" The girl shakes her head and Seungcheol lets out a breath of relief. "What's your name?" Seungcheol asks.

"Areum," The girl whispers.

"It's nice to meet you, Areum," Seungcheol says.

"Nice to meet you too," Areum murmurs.

"How about we get you out of here, okay?" Seungcheol says.

"W-what about eomma and a-appa?" Areum questions, looking at her parents' limp bodies.

"I'll protect them," Seungcheol says, "I promise you as the prince to watch out for them, but first we need to get you somewhere safe. Your parents would want their beautiful girl to stay safe, now wouldn't they?" The girl slowly nods and sniffles a bit. Seungcheol holds his hand out to the girl, who slowly takes his. He helps her get to his feet and looks down at her, "Stick by me, okay?" Areum nods her head as Seungcheol begins to lead her towards the attendees bunker area which were installed for situations just like these. He knocks on the door in a way that signals who he is. The door slowly creeps open and the kitchen noona peeks out with wide eyes. "Your highness!" She exclaims.

Seungcheol puts a finger to his mouth and gestures to Areum, "Please take care of her, noona." The lady nods and takes the girl into her arms. She stokes at her messy hair and brings her deeper inside the bunker. "Seungcheol...you should come inside," The kitchen noona whispers.