"He got hit by a car," Jihoon murmurs, "Seungcheol...you need to do something..."

"I...I'm sorry Jihoon, but I can't do anything," Seungcheol states.

"Th-that isn't true," Jihoon says, his breathing heavy and ragged, "You can bring him back...you can bite him..." Seungcheol stiffens at the words of his boyfriend. He wants him to change Seokmin into a vampire. He wants him to change his little brother into one of them. He can do it. If he bites him, he could bring Seokmin back. No. He can't. He won't. For more than one reason. "Please," Jihoon begs, "Bring him back to me...he's so young, Seungcheol. He's only in college. He hasn't even gotten to live yet. He doesn't deserve to die. Please!" Seungcheol's heart stirs at the words of his beloved. He wants to rush over there and save the human. Bring back the young man, who didn't deserve the tragedy that befell of him. Seokmin deserves to live. He really does. Seungcheol won't deny that, but it doesn't mean that he will turn him. "I can't do that, Jihoon," Seungcheol says in a dejected tone, knowing that his boyfriend won't be happy with him.

"W-why?" Jihoon asks, "Why won't you do it?!"

"Cause, it's against the law to change a human," Seungcheol says.

"It's against your law to be in a relationship with me!" Jihoon exclaims, "You're already breaking one of them. What's another?!"

"This is one I refuse to break," Seungcheol states, "I won't do it, Jihoon."

"Seungcheol...I'm begging you..." Jihoon cries, "I will never ask for anything else! Ever! I just want him back! Can't you give that to me! Don't you know how much he means to me! He's my everything, Seungcheol! He's the light of my goddamn life. I can't just lose him. Not when you have the ability to bring him back!!!"

"I know how important he is," Seungcheol says, "I adore Seokmin just as much as you do and that's exactly why I refuse to turn him. He deserves better than to be brought back to life as one of my people. Being a vampire isn't everything. Yes, we have eternal life, but it comes with so many other burdens. I don't want Seokmin to have to go through any of them."

"I don't care," Jihoon shrieks, "I don't give two shits!!! I just want to see my baby brother's bright smile again! I want to see his eyes light up! I want him to tackle me into hugs and pat my head. I want him to make fun of me cause of my height! I want him standing right here next to me and Channie. Not covered with a white sheet about to be buried six feet under!!!" Seungcheol wipes at his eyes, tears peeking at the corners of them. He takes a deep breath and runs a hand through his hair. Guilt eating at him. He wants to help. Deep down he really does, but he's holding himself back. It's against the rules and he vowed to never turn a human into one of them. Into a being that sucks blood and is hated more than loved. It is better to die surrounded by those who love you, then live forever and see those you care for fade with time. It's better this way. Seungcheol repeats that mantra in his head again and again. Jihoon continues to plead and cry over the phone. Screaming. Yelling. Sobbing. All for Seokmin. All to get him back. "I'm sorry," Seungcheol murmurs, "I'm so sorry..." He pictures Seokmin's wide smile and crescent shaped eyes in his mind. His tousled brown hair and his sunny disposition. The image slowly fades from his mind as the vampire continues to say I'm sorry. To both his distressed boyfriend and the young man who had just lost his life. "I-I h-hate y-you," Jihoon says with so much loathing that Seungcheol doesn't doubt it for a second.

"I know," Seungcheol mutters, having expected such a reaction from the boy.

"Don't talk to me," Jihoon states before ending the call. Seungcheol lets out a shaky breath and lowers the phone from his ear. He places it on the table and shakes his head. He stares at the contents of his table and swipes at them, sending it all crashing to the floor. He stares at the fallen items with an even expression on his face considering the war raging inside of him. Sadness from the loss of Seokmin. Hurt from Jihoon's biting words. Anger at himself. All at once, bubbling deep within Seungcheol. Suddenly, a loud knocking brings Seungcheol out of this thoughts. "Come in," Seungcheol states, wiping at his eyes again and taking a deep breath. Seungkwan opens the door and bursts into the room with a frantic look on his face. "Oh my goodness," Seungkwan rambles anxiously, "Hyung, something really, really, really bad just happened. You are not going to believe it. We need to do something right away before this gets any worse. It's a huge mess and we need your help."

"With what?" Seungcheol asks, "What's happening?

"Soonyoung broke the law," Seungkwan exclaims, "He's turned a human."

Ooooo, I told you that things got a bit crazy. Didn't I? Who do you all think Soonyoung changed? Let me know in the comments. This was a hefty chapter for the first chapter of 2023, but I hope that you still enjoyed it nonetheless. If you did like it, I would really appreciate it if you could vote, comment, follow me, add this story to your library, and check out my other fics here on Wattpad. I will see you all in the next chapter! Bye bye 👋