Chapter 8

Sally practically flies to the house. She's already swaying her hips to the loud music vibrating out of the windows. 

"Wait!" I yell, trying to make up an excuse, before she enters completely, "What about... my shirt?" I say pointing to my big black sweater as the excuse pops out of my mouth.

"Whatever!" She says not even looking, still bouncing to the music almost to the door. "Just take off your sweater, you have a tank top!" She calls, finally entering the house.

Alexandra begins to follow suit, bouncing to the music with more ease as she begins her way through the dirty lawn.

"You're going in?" I ask Alex, stopping her from going fully. She looks at me then back to the house.

"Don't worry, just dance, no need to use alcohol." She smiles, reassuring me.

"Ya, ya," I say shooing her off. She smiles and leaves too, jumping along with the music like Sally did before.

Tom and I are now standing in the middle of the yard, looking totally off.

The dark night settles over us as we watch the house before us, red bricks, flares of light, music still bouncing and people stumbling out the door and into the green lawn we stand on right now.

"Well..." I say slowly, dragging the word out like a question.

"Ya?" He asks, as if reading my mind of how concerned we both feel, he looks at a couple making out against the brick wall house, eyes widening."This is weird," he states.

"Ya," I agree, making the same grossed out face.

I take off my sweater, not knowing what else to do, maybe to feel more normal, look less awkward but whatever it is, once it's off of me, standing next to Tom, instead of feeling like Tom and I might look normal right now, we're standing awkwardly on this green lawn and I feel his gaze on me.

I look up at him and his eyes go wide as he stares down at me.

"What?" I ask.

He looks away, flushed, avoiding my eye contact before speaking again. A mumble of a sound comes out as he shrugs.

"Nothing,"

"Okay?" I look down at my shirt, trying to understand what it is that's making him look at me like that. Not finding it, I asked him again, "What is it?"

"Nothing. It's fine... it's just.. you look ... wow."

I raise my eyebrow.

"I mean," he clears his throat, "You just look.. great," He finally says more confidently, bobbing his head down as if agreeing with his words.

The words settling in, I smile, looking down as I hide this bubbling feeling traveling up my stomach, I think I just blushed.

"What should we do, now?" I say, looking back at the house again instead of the grass below me, ignoring the sudden flush feeling I was receiving.

"I guess.. we should go in?" He suggests, contemplating it in his mind, but his voice sounds confident as if he's decided he's already going in.

I look up at him, feeling like a little kid all scared, in wonder as I ask with my eyes if what he's thinking is going into that place.

Looking up at his profile, his blue eyes looking ahead, I can tell he's confident in his plan and I sink down as the realization dawns over me.

He looks down at me, smiling, comforting me with his reassuring grin and he grabs hold of my hand. My eyes shoot straight to our hands, eyes widening as his touch registers through my skin, breath catching, heartbeat growing until I hear his light chuckle from above.

"It's okay, we'll be fine," He reassures me again, smiling, making me stand up straighter and my breathing slowly relaxes in its place.

We walk together towards the door, the brown door open, inviting with its purple and blue lights and shadows of people crowding the entrance but it doesn't feel inviting, all I feel is scared, my heartbeat quickens once more.

"Here goes nothing," He says, entering the house.

Squinting my eyes as I prepare myself for what's inside, thinking there'll be a monster in the house or something.

- I know, I'm crazy....

I peek a little, but my eyes fully widen once I get the view of what's inside. It surprised me, seeing about millions of people, even more than this house looks like it can hold, their bodies shadows with the dark lights illuminating the place. There are strings up against the ceiling, like a decoration gone wrong because most of them sway and almost fall once people walk below them.

In a distant room, I hear the sound of cheering.

Squishing through the crowd of people, adjusting to the space, Tom holds my cold hand in his warm one, guiding me to the loud sound.

My hand still grabs hold of Tom tightly as he leads me to the...kitchen?

Beer bottles are crowded in every corner of the counter, people dance on a small rounded table in the middle of the room, which are illuminated by blue and purple lights, switching to the beat of the music.

"Ya here goes.. nothing," I whisper to myself as my hand slips off of Tom's.