Chapter 38

We've finally arrived at my house.

Before we were laughing and .... I guess... kinda flirting as we walked to my house.

Now that we're at my driveway, it's kind of awkward, the dark night settling around us mirrors the black pavement of this driveway as we stand in the middle of it, while the trees aisle around the sidewalk we've left behind us.

We stand there in silence, swaying in hopes that maybe one or the other will speak first.

"Well, I guess this is me," Andrew finally says.

I'm confused.

"Yep." he strides towards my doorway, acting smug and confident as he does so.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm going in my house," he says as he points at my house.

I laugh.

"No, that's my house," I tell him, knowing that he's joking.

He's been playing the clown all night.

He chuckles back.

"So, are you going to let me?" he waits.

His question catching me off guard, my eyes widened in question, trying to figure out if he were serious or not. I stood still a few feet away from him."Um?" Is what came out in response.

I don't know what to say...

"What, is your mom not going to allow it?" he smirks, defienetly trying to trigger some kind of wild side in me.

I scoff.

"Well, ya, but-" I look at my driveway, noticing it's empty with my mom's car nowhere in sight, I turn back toward him, "but my mom isn't here,"

"Ooo, so now there's some serious mischief going to happen," he says, leaning against the doorway, making what he's saying very tempting.

I don't want him to see my room and my mom would be even more pissed if she found out, and Andrew and I aren't really in a friend kind of relationship Soo...

I shake my head after a moment of silence.

"No, but thanks for the offer," I wink at him as I say these words.

I'm definitely playing hard to get.

I mean, come one, how else can a girl earn some respect?

He gives me a smug look, eyeing me with his delicious brown eyes, amused, he finally pushes off the doorway to stand straight.

"Ya," I assure, letting him know I am indeed serious, despite being amused along with him, as I nod with the raise of my eyebrows.

Stepping between the few steps between us, I open the door with the key giggling along with it, off the driveway's pavement, then I turn back towards him.

"Well,... Bye." I smile.

On the ledge of the doorway, I look at him stand on the doormat with the house's top creating a shadow over him along with the night sky, noticing he doesn't really smile in return, his mouth curves slightly, but I can see the frown on him even if he tries to hide it.

Spotting this, I roll my eyes at his expression, seeing the hidden pout in his pleading eyes even though accepting that he isn't coming in.

An amused smile to my lips, my hands lean against both sides of the doorway, my upper body making an X, blocking anybody from entering, truly emphasizing there's no way he's coming in.

No response to my confident smirk, him simply looking down, I huff, explaining further why he can't come in.

"Plus, I don't want you to see my room," I confess.

He looks up at me, popping his head back up, trying to see if I'm serious or not as his attention focuses back up at me with suspicion in his eyes. The lamplight beside the doorway making his features glow, he responds with a small grin playing on his lips as my confession settles in until it turns into a smirk.

No longer wondering what he'll respond with, I smirk back, confident yet again.

He sighs.

"Fine," he accepts as he swings his body away from my house, "see you around, Nina!" he salutes me before casually walking away.

Damn...

He's something.

I close the door before staring any longer at his body in the fluorescent shadow of one singular lamp.

I sigh, leaning against the door behind me as everything settles in with a deep breath in and out.

In the now dark entrance of my house, I focus on that as I shake my head, trying to zap my thoughts away from him.

This is so confusing.

Well, at least he's on some kind of hook.
I set some kind of boundary that shows I'm not going to be played.

Yet, he's got me on the hook too.

I make him get flustered but he gets me flustered too, probably way more.

We're both on a string, hanging on invisibility, hiding from the truth, lying to ourselves. But, will this string break until we crash onto each other, or will we just keep on hanging on, not letting the other in on our secrets?