Chapter 25

Tension invades the interior of the car as we drive to our destination.

I'm not even worried where we are going, the tension is all I can feel.

I sneak a glance at Andrew as we drive, he seems fine, which is good, but how come I feel like I'm going to explode.
It can't only be me... I mean, we almost kissed... Or something, we definitely hugged, that couldn't have only been on me.

I sneak another glance at him.

I look away quickly.

I decided to ignore the feeling, looking forward instead.

Watching the dashboard, and taking the view of the road, I noticed we're on the highway.

How did we get on the highway?!?

I turn my head fully towards Andrew now, no longer hesitating as I speak without a second thought.

"Where are we going?" I ask, my voice high.

He doesn't answer.

I decide his silence is that he doesn't want to tell me the surprise.

I look back at the road, to the left are just other lanes and then the right are trees and grass. It's like a little wood that takes place beside the rush of the highway, but it's really big, I can't even see where it ends.

The trees get closer and closer, looking bigger as we drive, and I feel like an ant compared to them.

Focusing on the trees, amazed by them yet feeling crushed by the overwhelming size of them, hovering over the car lanes, looking up at them, the closed window makes a division between us and I feel somewhat safer.

The engine stops and I realize we are no longer on the road, the car has stopped and Andrew opens his car door, the sound zapping me out of my recent faze and as I look at Andrew's closed door everything settles in.

I'm puzzled, confused... Any word that means...huh.... Is how I feel right now.

I watch as Andrew walks across to the other side and then opens my car door.

I make a face, in shock, confusion... Anything to make him see I need explaining.

"What? I'm just opening the door for you,"

"Uh hu," I reply and cautiously stand up.

"I can close the door," I tell him, protectively, eyeing him before he could decide to.

"Okay, here we are," he announces to the trees as I shut the car door, the slam sound following, I look over to what he's so proud to show me.

Looking up, I observe the trees protecting this little gravel side area that sits by the road, circling around us with brown bark.

"Well, this would be a sad place to die,"

"What are you talking about, it's a very nice place,"

"Well maybe, but not to die in," I counter.

I look behind me, watching the rest of the cars drive past on the highway.

"Are we going into those woods?"

He nods.

"What, why?"

"Oh, come on,"

"Noo!" I pout, sticking my feet harder into the ground to prove my point.

"Come on," he encourages, grabbing my hand. I stay put but he manages to pull me, dragging me into the forest, while my complaints follow.

The road quickly disappears from behind me and all I see are the green trees and branches of the wood.