Chapter 18

I stand there, still, as I feel myself get lost by his presence.

I'm no longer anywhere but with him.
I want to turn away but I don't, I want to walk away, but I don't... What's going on?!?!

He stops acting smug and instead, he's just looking at me. Looking at each other's eyes, it's like we have found something in one another we've been searching for and finally found it. Only, now that we have it, we don't know what to do with it.

His eyes look to my lips and I already know what might happen next.

I look at his lips too and feel my eyes flickering to close, getting ready for the moment.

Heart beating faster, I can only hear that and my shallow breaths.

He looks me in the eyes, questions and wonders in those eyes as his head begins to dip down, closer to mine.

As if he's in slow-mo, his gaze traveling to my lips, then to my eyes, my eyes wide as I take everything in, no longer hearing my breath, only seeing him, him leaning closer and closer and closer and closer, I finally realize what's about to happen...

His face inching closer to mine, feeling his presence getting closer and closer.

Exaggerating closer and closer for a reason here!

He's about to kiss me!!!

I jerk back, feeling myself sliding to a fall by the sudden impulse.

Andrew opens his eyes quickly and I feel myself slipping from underneath my stance. His hands wrap around me swiftly, causing me to be balanced again.

The catch, one last look into each other's eyes, both of us surprised for different reasons, arms wrapped around my waist in a 'save' position in so many romance scenes, he maybe realizes the awkwardness of what's happening and what this might look like and unwraps his arms from mine.

Putting me back in a steady position, he steps back, coughing nervously in the process.

Nervous as well, probably not like him, I just feel awkward as I look at his distant step from me, way farther from before. Him moving away from me brings me back to thinking.

My breathing no longer hitched in my stomach, no longer feeling lost by him, I'm regaining my control once more.

My eyes widened.

The thought comes out of my mouth as soon as it comes to mind.

"Were you about to kiss me?" I gasp out, acting appalled by the statement despite that moments ago I felt completely intoxicated by the idea, totally embarrassed for not going along with it and guilty for the extra step between us.

He shakes his head, looking down, not able to see his eyes, but when he looks back up and into my eyes, looking suddenly vulnerable, I know he is lying.

I step back away from him, the realization dawning on me, my stubbornness acts disgusted by the whole idea.

"Wait, Nina, please, I can explain," he starts, his body moving closer to mine.

I shake my head.

"How dare you," I yell at him, stepping back once more as I shake my finger at him, stopping him from coming closer as I look away towards the tiled white and grey floor for a moment as everything sinked in, frowning at the thought of this all.

I run down the hallway, hearing his calls echoing through the hall.

I don't dare look back, I don't try to get my stuff from my locker and I just bang the exit doors open once I reach them.

I can still hear his echoing voice when I'm more than 2 blocks away from the school. Running so fast that the possible tears that could've come didn't rush out at all.

I feel myself drowning at the thought of him, what might have happened, what I thought about him, I wanted to kiss him too- NO!

I shake my head, feeling embarrassed for him and for me.

Why do I feel what I feel?

He probably was just playing with me, trying to treat me like a game.

I continue walking until I reach my house, ignoring the call from my mom, ignoring my brother, Elliot- who's asking for some water.

I just enter my room and dread the next day of school.