Chapter 15

As Sally and I exit my room, I remember what happened last night with my mom. Eyes widening as I begin to grow nervous at the thought of what might happen when she sees us walking to school together, anticipating the worst, I don't even realize we're already out of my room.

Exiting my room with a buzz of thoughts, worried, the sound of the door slamming zaps me out of my crazy thoughts.

I bounce at the sound of the door shutting.

Turning back towards Sally, I shush her.

"What?" She asks, oblivious to the noise she's made, just eyeing my wide eyes and pointer finger to mouth, with the roll of the eye.

"Ugh!" I turn back around, zapping my attention forward, eyeing the corridor and begin tiptoeing through the hallway. Concentrated to make as little noise as possible, I, at one point, spot Sally just walking besides me normally.

"What are you doing?" I whisper, waving my hands to indicate to her to come closer to me.

She looks at me, confused and then rolls her eyes when she spots me tip toeing.

"Relax," she hushes.

She begins walking down the stairs normally and then into the kitchen, opening the silver fridge. I just stood there in shock, still standing at the top of the staircase.

What the hell is wrong with her, I wonder, surprised as to the little amount of noise she's made. 

Sally looks back at me and rolls her eyes again, deciding to focus back at the fridge.

I look at my surrounding, questioning if I should move or not. I decide to move a bit forward but then I stop after I hear a creak following. 

Sally looks back at me, probably having heard the sound, I can already see the eyes starting to roll before she does so.

She begins waving her hands towards her, indicating to me to come.

I don't move.

She responds as if nothing's happening as she shuts the fridge. Not interested in my procrastination, she walks to the island while popping open the bottle of juice in her hand.  

I sigh and decide to just begin to walk.

Walking, very slowly down the stairs, I manage to step on every creak, causing noise to echo throughout the house. I cringe at the sounds and stop, deciding against my quiet tiptoe plan, I walk normally down the stairs, and the sound is decreased. 

"There, that wasn't that hard," Sally says once I reach the island.  

I roll my eyes.

A moment later, I hear a creak of the door upstairs and my eyes widen as I zap my attention towards the stairs and hallway above them, already imagining a far off door opening.

"Great, we made too much noise,"

"We?" She questions, raising her eyebrows, as I grab my backpack off the floor, ready to depart before my mom can find us.

"It might just be Elliot taking a piss," she suggests, seeing my urgency and just shrugging it off as she takes a sip of the bottle in her hand. Not believing the possibility of it just being Elliot going to the bathroom, I stare her down, waiting for her to take my cue and leave, but instead, she still stands at the island, drinking the juice in her hand, not making an effort to move.

"Ugh, come on, let's go,"

"Okay, okay."

She closes the bottle and grabs a bag that was left on the floor to use as a backpack.

"What are you doing with that?"

"It's my new backpack for the day," she states with a shrug, looking at the flimsy green bag already wrapped around her shoulder.

"It's my mom's, you can't." I snatch it out of her hands and drop it back onto the floor.

The creaks from upstairs come back to view, sounding louder and feel closer than before as I grow worried once more. Looking back at the empty hallway above, I have a feeling it won't be empty for long.

"Hide," I hush as I crouch down under the island.

"Ugh," Sally groans, moving under the table with me, "You're so dramatic,"

I hear another door close and it seems that the person, mom, went to the bathroom.

"Okay, I'm gonna walk up the stairs to get your backpack and you stay down here and then when I'm back down here, we rush out the door, got it," I whisper to her the plan.

As I looked at her, it seemed like she wasn't even paying attention as she simply stared at her nails. I roll my eyes.

"We'll wing it," I decide.

"Got it," she answers, still looking at her nails as I rush out of my hiding spot and up the stairs, making a few creak sounds my way there.

I rush into my room, grabbing Sally's backpack that she left here yesterday before going to that party...Ugh that party...

I shiver a bit at the thought, but a small part of me has a tingling feeling of excitement. I ignored it and opened my bedroom's door again. Slowly closing it, checking the halls with my eyes and then running down the stairs towards the entrance of my home once more.

Spotting Sally as I run, I whisper yell, "Go, go, go,"

She groans, scrunching up her nose when she sees me, already out from under the grey kitchen island, rolling her eyes.

Already zooming towards the door, I open it and run out, waiting behind for a slow Sally until she finally walks outside, I then close the door.

"Ugh, you take forever, come on, we don't wanna be late,"

Still not paying attention, only taking notice of how she looks, criticizing herself with a wrinkle of the noise, she breathes out,"I reek of... " sniffing her breath before continuing, "Ewww," she whines as her breath settles in, wafting towards her.

I roll my eyes and walk down the street to our school, "Come on," I usher Sally to the sidewalk and we finally make our way to our school.