Chapter 97

Sweat rolls down my neck, sticking to my now tight shirt. Who knew Tap could be so exhausting? I feel exhilarated.

I take a break between dance and piano class.

I exit the studio and let the air refresh my worked bones.

The dark night gazes down at me and the wind brushes my clothes, my shirt sways against my stomach.

I let the cold air enter my lungs and my body heat starts diminishing.

The car tempts me and I sit inside its warm cushions. I roll down the car's window, the black sky whispering a hello and I allow its breath to shiver down my spine.

Okay, now, I'm cold. I close the window.

I rub my fingers together. The sweat doesn't feel as overwhelming as before, it sticks less to my skin, and there's more space between me and my flowy blue shirt.

"6:26" the red time on my dashboard reads.

I better get back inside to start my piano class.

I take a deep breath and open the car's door, slamming shut behind me as I run back inside.

~~~~~~

Mr. Lens spots me shivering in the warm light of the entrance. He salutes me and I return it with a smile.

He shakes his head and his tall figure begins to walk down the hallway, away from sight.

"Meet me in 5, Haden," he calls.

I shake my head just as he did, amused by his name-calling. I rub my hands together, warming my body up again, and follow behind him.

~~~~~~

I fall asleep head first onto the white pillows, they fluff underneath my head. That's my last memory of Friday night.

I awake with the pink sun, a slither of light peeking through my window - it's enough to cause me to turn. I yawn, stretching my arms long and strong.

I pull myself up despite the numbness in my eyes.

The sun is brighter than usual, probably because of sleeping in on a wonderful Saturday instead of working on an early Monday.

I feel the March breeze from the window, flowing the curtains and entering my room. I breathe it in.

I feel good.

My eyes are still closed but I try to energize my tired body.

It's Saturday, which means today's ballet class!

The excitement of today's ballet class pumps the resistance out of me and I jump off my bed, the sheets flipping back behind me.

I put some music on.

Letting the words inspire me as I pick out my workout clothes, I look into one of my cubbies, finding my ballet flats, soft, and pink.

I squeeze them tight before placing them in my now ballet bag. The bag changes its name depending on what type of dance the program is providing.

I'm excited about being part of this new elective weekend!

I walk out of the room. Now with all my clothes ready, I need to get ready.

The morning's breeze guides me to the bathroom.

I still hear the music and I dance. Maroon 5 lifts my energies higher, my hips catch the rhythm.

I pull my stretchy pants on, do a kick.

I grab my sports bra, pulling my tank top on top.

My hips sway to the beat as I wrap the big gray sweater to top off the cozy dance outfit.