Chapter 82

I look ahead to the empty road, the exit behind me as the red light blares at me indicating signs and where to go next, I don't follow any of them.

Turning right, out of the directions for tourists, which makes no sense why you'd go here, but there are still spots for out of town drivers to go apparently.

I make my right, entering a dark street. Black pavement beneath me and the lankey ride of the highway is as if it was never there, nowhere in sight as my big car takes up the narrow wet snowy street. Trees shading the area, looking up to find the moon between the branches, the moon's my only sign of direction for now.

Exiting the small street, the next street I enter makes the other one seem abandoned, as it's filled with warm lights, sprinkling about the yards and white snow compared with the moon as they shine equally together, equally beautiful, equally infuriating me. Why am I so mad yet eerily calm as my expression remains blank? Yet my wide eyes could say otherwise as to my stern straight jaw.

I search the empty street, dark ground and wet, glistening from recent snow, glimmering in the black pavement I ride over. I'm out of the red highway lights and into the quiet street of no flashing cars and in the cozy neighborhood of small houses, all lined up perfectly, no longer something I saw from afar from the highway but right here. All coated with little dust fairies called snow.

The thought suddenly makes me smile as my determined decision leads me, takes me to the place I need to be.

I now know where I'm going and I don't even know what I'm gonna do when I get there.

The Christmas air around with snow dotting the grass of big expensive houses, all equally beautiful in their own way but I don't care about that. I keep looking from side to side trying to find exactly the house I'm looking for. Muttering to myself the address I remember from years ago, how the house looked since the last time I went- I hope that's enough to lead me to the right place.
Having only been there a few times, I barely remember where to go.

He lives on the other side of town, the ride on the long highway served a purpose after all.

The next street I pass isn't as bright with infuriating bright Christmas lights and neither is it silent dark with only the moon, it's just right.

Dark sky, green patches of yard, trees passing the friendly sidewalk, white snow, not too much snow and not too little, houses close together but enough space between them, trees separating the yards unlike the last street with endless yards with no break between them.

I already feel calmer at the sight.

Breathing in and out, my recent angry heat slowly fades from my forehead and I feel I'm cooling down.

Driving slowly down the street, glancing left to right, houses on either side, trees blocking some, some out and proud, others bright with decorations, others looking empty, diverse community and quiet street, but none are the right house.

Finally, when I thought there was no hope, I felt it inside me, the bubbling excitement entering in me, flowing through me as my heart beat quickened for a moment and I bumped along to the end of the quiet street. I know that this is the house without even looking at it. I look anyway. Breathing deeply before my recent excitement can overload me, -My emotions are a seeping mess, I have to calm down from my recent numbness to the anger, it's too much. Calm down, Nina!

Looking past the passenger seat beside me and then through the clear closed window where in front lies a welcoming yard. Bushes surrounding the pathway to the house's door, a small light showcasing the house's number address and I know in fact that it's the house. My eyes widen and my heart fills with hope.

I immediately unbuckle my seat, on autopilot with my actions as my gaze stays fixed on the house ahead. Yet I feel every action I take. Sliding out of my seat and stepping onto the pavement, feeling the grounded street, a clear contrast from the bumpy ride with my car, all the while, I stay fixated on the house ahead of me though the big car's hood hides it momentarily. I step beyond the car and I see the small house fully.

The house faces the wet street as I pause to look at it thoroughly. High bushes at either side of the clean path that leads to the white door with a little peephole and gold numbers on top. White and light brown bricks, overall a cozy and sweet home, very nice.

And at this point, I've got bored of it and I go back to autopilot, going along with my first mission, numb that I don't even feel the cold air breathing for me, hitting my face as I take my first steps onto the sidewalk. Then entering the premise of his home. Shoes tapping on the rough floor, the chill air slowly decreasing as the path curves towards the door and the bushes grow measurily taller with each bush as if they were steps, they block the wind. And once I reach the door, I'm completely enveloped by forest green bushes on either side of me that I smile at it once I realize it.

The moment passes quickly though and I go serious again.

Facing forward to the cozy door, clean and smooth door, I debate whether I should knock or click the button beside the door so the ding ding sound can sound through the home.

Before I do anything, I look left, where a nice path is, covered by the bushes, you wouldn't see it, it's like a secret safe patio and to the right is the same thing, this information surprises me but I show no surprise. Then I look back forward where the white door stands and where my feet stay planted on the light brown step that's the same pavement as the two secret patios. Two secret patios that aren't seen from where my car sits, only able to see the tall windows above the forest bushes.

I take a short breath in a hurry but then it deepens and it becomes a long breath and I feel better calmer but l snap out of it and my plan to fucking¡ knock on the door, fucking happens!

Determined and now mad, my hand makes contact with the door once my arm raises.
Waiting impatiently only lasts for a few seconds because to my surprise the door opens. My recently slitted eyes of frustration widened as the white door made way for the person I was waiting for and at this moment, the last person I had expected to see there.

Silence passes by as the welcoming home slits open, his body covering the sight inside while the light clashes calmly with the dark night and the shadows of the bushes protect me before I hear him say my name.

"Nina," he whispers, surprised yet grounded. As I look at those blue steamy cloudy eyes of his, my breath stops short momentarily and silence follows once again.

Eyes traveling from his jean covered legs to his waist, chest, and then back up to his pale clean face, to those deep blue eyes.

My autopilot disappears as I breathe out, letting out something I didn't know I was holding and I smile.

"Tom," I say with the same exasperated hopeful whisper.

Before his smile can follow suit and match my own, curling up to meet his cheeks, I step forward with one motion and kiss him.