Chapter Thirty-five: Foggy

After getting a jeep, the crew continued on. (Y/n)'s horns were still sore and she was completely blind through them. Her doll was cracked and the crack seemed to grow bigger and bigger. Polnareff drove carefully over the narrow roads, he had been more careful since they defeated that stand user. Kakyoin touched the main horn gently, making (y/n) flinch and push his hand away. "Please don't touch it.," the girl whined. "Alright, I won't.," the red haired teen said. Polnareff took a quick look at the girl and her new head ornaments before looking back at the road, "Where did you get that cloth and those jewels? They look expensive." "The cloth and jewels belonged to her father.," Joseph answered for the child, "Kars kept his long hair and horns wrapped up in that cloth and only took it off when it was his time to fight."
Jotaro leaned back a little and saw the girl looking at him, "What?" "Nice new jacket. Looks like it would be warm.," The little girl said as she looked over Kakyoin's shoulder. The red haired male was holding her and patting her hair. Joseph looked at the jacket as well, "I can't believe you got a uniform jacket made in Pakistan. The fit is perfect too." "It's 100% wool.," Jotaro replied.

Kakyoin looked around as fog encircled the group and the terrain. He turned to the Frenchman who was driving, "Polnareff, is it safe to drive right now? This fog rolled in rather quickly." "Yeah. It is pretty dangerous here.," The silver haired Frenchman replied, "There's a sheer drop on one side and no guard rail." "The fog is getting thicker up ahead.," Joseph added, "and it is not even 3pm yet. We have no choice but to call it a night. Let's see if we can find an inn in that town over there." "I hope we find a nice hotel.," Polnareff said. "A nice hotel?," Kakyoin echoed with a questioning voice. The Frenchman smiled, "Yeah, one with a decent toilet." (Y/n) and Kakyoin laughed at the Frenchman and he got a little offended, "What?!"
(Y/n) just gave him a grin and stuck her tongue out at him, a gesture which he returned before they both chuckled. The child huddled close to her old friend. She noticed the air immediately change when they drove into the town. Something felt off. Something smelled bad. Like death. The whole town was covered in the stench of the dead. The child refused to leave the Jeep as the others went to look for an inn where they could stay. The anxiety that came with her losing her ability and the stench of the town made her stomach do flips. She felt sick. She hugged her porcelain doll for comfort. She could have sworn she heard something in the back of her mind whisper 'leave this place'.

She peeked her head out of the Jeep and was told by Joseph to stay in as they examined something on the ground. She obeyed and continued to play with her doll. She heard her adopted father yell that they needed to leave and ran right to the jeep. He was next to the fence the next moment, he was going to be impaled had he not used his hermit purple to get away from the spiky fence top. The little girl peeked out as she heard a noise, a tap tap tapping sound. Her big red eyes scanned the area before she saw an old woman walking towards them. The old woman smelled like a human.
The woman had a lot of white hair. Liver spots covered her face and skin. Her clothes seemed plain but a little bit sophisticated. That tapping sound was made by her walking stick. She walked by the jeep and to the group with a friendly smile on her face. The old woman gave a bow of greeting to the group. Joseph looked to his adopted daughter that was still in the jeep, the old woman looked behind her to see the tiny girl peering over the side of the vehicle before turning back to the group.

"Welcome travelers. It's a bit dangerous to travel along the cliffs with this fog around. I run the local bed and breakfast, you can stay there if you wish. I'll make it affordable for you. We have plenty of room for you and the little one.," the old woman said with a smile and motioned back to the small child that was watching her. (Y/n) got out of the vehicle as the men were discussing what they should do, she approached the old woman that was smiling with a friendly expression. "Aren't you adorable? You're as pretty as one of those Greek statues you see in museums.," the old woman tittered, "This way dearie." The old woman said and walked towards a building. The plum haired girl followed while holding her porcelain doll. The old woman pointed to the hotel, "You can go right in and get comfortable dearie."
(Y/n) gave the woman a bow of thanks and realized that she had not covered her horns, "You don't mind my horns and red eyes?" The old woman laughed, "Not at all. I know that there are people who are born with things others do not. I heard that horned people are considered good fortune in places." The girl felt a little better about having her hood off and walked inside. She did not know that the old woman worked for her brother and wanted to kill her friends. 'I won't hurt the child at all, lord DIO.,' the old woman thought to herself, 'I'll bring her to you as you wanted.'