chapter 28

Clair is picnicking while reading her book in the garden of the Lune manor. She had the picnic mat on the ground under a big tree as shed.

She wore a big hat and a flowery white dress with red rose pattern. She lay flat on the ground while reading her book. Her hair fluttered gently when the wind blew.

A few guards that stand on patrol and guarding the garden blushed when they saw their beautiful and angelic miss in the garden. Some maids even had lovestruck face when they pass by purposely.

"Warf!" a bark bring back all of them to reality, the dazed guards and maids fake a cough before continuing their duty.

Clair sit up and catch the incoming fluff ball. "Kuro! Where did you wander this time?" She tickled the belly of the dog and Kuro licked her hand.

She patted Kuro affectionately while thinking about a certain someone. It's been three days since she went back home and feel really bored.

She wanted to called out Sakura but she afraid that it would attract trouble to show her card, plus ut would be really weird for her to suddenly bring in some stranger as she is actually a popular loner.

"Miss, the lord ask for your presence in his study room." Mina, Clair's personal maid that Clair finally accept in her life came and informed.

"Why would father search for me? Is he back from the morning court already?" She asked while standing up holding Kuro.

"I'm not sure miss, the lord had just come back just now and immediately ask for your presence, it seems that something happened in the court." Mina answered without flunctuations in her tones.

"Hm, okay, let's go see him." She said then walk in the direction of the study room. 'Is it about the alliance marriage? Is there really nothing I can do about it?' She sighed in her heart.

"Father." She called out when the middle aged man sitting in the study room didn't noticed her entering.

"Ah, Clair, you're here, come have a sit, there's something I wanted to told you." Duke Lune said, his expression is dispirited.

"Father? What's wrong? Did something happen at the court?" Clair asked when she saw the pale face of Duke Lune.

Duke Lune sighed. "It's like this, a few days ago, Lord Smith suggest as the candidate to have a marriage alliance with the prince from the neighboring country. "

"I had fight for you almost every court meeting as the emperor interested in that idea. But just as the emperor about to make decision, the third prince ask your hand in marriage in front of everyone during the court meeting today."

Clair was shocked. 'The third prince? What person is he like? Why me?'

"The emperor only seems reluctant on the surface, but he agreed to it immeadiately without hesitation, which make a lot of the minister shocks and disbelief as the emperor agreed to use you for marriage alliance at first."

"So, the emperor had given out the imperial decree to give the both of you an engagement and the decree will arrived in a bit."

Clair stood there, shock silly. 'So in the end, I will still married someone I don't even know just because an imperial decree?'

She wanted to say something but her voice won't come out. She just stood there while looking pleadingly at Duke Lune.

Duke Lune sighed and avoided her gaze. " I'm sorry Clair, the emperor had given out his decree and it's a crime to go against it. It's going to be okay, although the third prince is crippled because he was poisoned when he was a child, he is a kind and gentle person. He will not mistreat you and you might be able to live freely in the future with him."

"No. No, father I don't want to. I already had someone in my heart. I can't marry the third prince." Clair started crying, she looks so pitiful that Duke Lune really wanted to lashed out to the emperor to cancel the engagement.

"Lord Lune, Miss Lune, the imperial decree arrived and they requested both masters received it." Butler Tony came in with worried look.

"Let's receive the decree first, you can always convince the third prince to change his mind before your marriage later. There, there, my pretty daughter let's not disgrace ourself in front of them."

Duke Lune patted her head like coaxing a child, but surprisingly, Clair nodded and obeyed, she wipes her tears and calm herself down. Together, hand in hand, she walk together with Duke Lune to the receiving hall.

"Imperial decree arrived asking Duke Lune and his daughter , Miss Clair Lune to receive it. It is stated that Miss Clair Lune is bestowed a marriage with his highness, the Third Prince, the marriage will be held on early autumn."

'Early autumn? Isn't that about next month? Why so early?' Clair wanted to talk but she was held back by Duke Lune which shook his head lightly.

Clair nodded with a sad expression while Duke Lune received the decree. Alzher,the grand minister, the emperor most trusted right hand man,is the one send the imperial decree, so Duke Lune can't help but feel pressured.

'The emperor really thought highly of this marriage as he dare send his most trusted man.' He thought. Usually, any imperial decree would only be send by the royal guards or some princes and this man here never run this kind of errands.

"Oh, by the way, Miss Clair Lune, His Highness Third Prince wish for your audience this evening for a dinner. A carriage will come and fetch you later on."

"I've done my duty and conveyed his higness's words. I'll take my leave now." Alzher bowed and left, he was pleasantly surprised that the Lune family didn't try to curry favor from him, knowing that he is the most trusted aid of the emperor.

His impression of the Lune family increased and satisfied with the Third Prince choice in family and taste, the young miss of Lune isn't bad in manners and appearance.

"Miss, let's started to get you ready to meet his highness before the carriage arrived." Mina said.

Clair looked at Duke Lune before agreeing after received a motivational nod from him.