chapter 26

"Lily, are you okay?" Clair patted the head of the white haired child. Lily look at Clair and showed a soft smile, although it still contained sadness but she looks fine.

Clair hugged the girl when the girl leans on her. She smiled and appeared calm but in her heart is a thunderstorm, she shudered mentally when she thought about what happen to those black cloaked man.

She only saw Lily went to them and placed her hand on their forehead one by one. Instantly, they started crying and wail sorrowfully.

Lily asked Vera to release them and those guy started went crazy when they are freed. Some bang their heads at the tree trunk and some slashed themself on the throat. Soom, all of them lying on the ground motionlessly, dead.

All of them went silent except Sakura. She kicked them one by one and snickered when she found out that everyone of them had died.

Kyle snapped out of his daze and told Lance to clean up the corpse. Clair gulped, losing her appetite after see the thing happen in front of her.

"Miss, are you okay?" Black asked, Kyle look at her direction, his eyes asking the same.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Lily is incredible." She said while patting the head of the child in her arm.

"She is my cousin, she wanted to hug you so bad so I had to ask miss to brought her out, I'm sorry for troubling miss." Black kneeled for forgiveness.

"It's okay. So, you're cousin? Hm, I thought calling her White is cute, but I think Lily sounded more suitable for her." Clair rubbed her chin.

Lily look at her, her eyes look sad, but held some tender and warm like the one in Black's. "Lily." She spoke softly.

Clair heard it and smiled, she nodded, agreed for that name. After cleaning up everything, they proceed their ride. This time, only Clair and Kyle is in the carriage, she had summoned back all of them.

"Clair, did you miss your mother?" Kyle suddenly asked while moving to her side. Clair was stunned but later she smiled sadly and nodded.

Kyle hugged her and kissed her forehead. "It's okay, just remember that you are not alone, you have me, your father and everyone in your mana field."

Clair smiled and her sadness eased after smelled the familiar scent that make her feel secure. "What about your parent?" She asked, curious.

Kyle look at her and smiled, the way she look at her with her bright watery eyes is like a cute bunny.

"My mother pass away when I'm a child after being poisoned, I'm poisoned too but my father tried everything that he could until a mage come and taught me magic, after unlocking my mana field, the blue fire element neutralized the poison. My father told me to stay low profile and kept acting sick to keep the enemy at the bay."

Clair looked at him, she feel like she heard the story before but can't processed where she heard it.

"Then, does you father love you?" she asked again. "He love me, because he love me and my mother that both of us get poisoned, that's why he told me to stay low and sick in front others and he act like he didn't care about me."

Clair nodded and sighed, "That must be so hard for a father to pretend like he doesn't love his child just to protect them."

Kyle smiled and combed her hair, "It is, that's why I practiced magic diligently to become stronger, so that he can stop worrying about me and I could protect him."

Clair heard him and smiled warmly. "You're a good child." she said softly while leaning on his chest.

Kyle went stiff when her body lean on him, he felt happy but nervous at the same time. Happy as she is opening to him , but nervous that he would lose control as her scent is so addictive that could make him lose his mind.

Fortunately, Clair didn't move much and she fell asleep quickly as the carriage swings gently from the road.

Kyle look at the girl sleeping on his lap, her eyelashes trembled a little when the carriage bumped a little.

"Lance, called Alex in." Kyle lifted the carriage curtain and speak softly. Soon, the figure of Alex appeared in the carriage, half kneeling to greet Kyle.

"Send a letter to Emperor father , say that I wanted to get engage to Miss Clair of the Lune Mansion."

Kyle speak while stroking lightly Clair's cheeks.

Alex nodded and went out again. Like that, the peaceful ride to the capital continued without any more disturbance.

When Clair opened her eyes, the carriage had stop and Kyle is looking at her gently.

"Huh? Have we arrived?" She look at Kyle and he nodded. 'So fast? Or did I sleep too long?' She thought while sitting up straight.

"We're now near the Lune manor, you should go in first. I'm going to leave and take care of some matter, I'll come find you later, okay?"

Kyle held her hands gently. Clair is reluctant, but seeing the seriousness in his face, she reluctantly nodded.

'I initially wanted to drag him to meet father and request marriage, what a bold idea.' She gulped her own thoughts.

"Go ahead, I promise I'll find you in two weeks time." He said while getting out from the window and vanished into the woods nearby. 'Erm sir, the carriage has a door..' Clair look at the parting figure with a blank face.

She went down the carriage and realised Lance had gone too, across the street is to way to Lune Mansion.

She draped a dark red cloak and carried her luggage to the front of the guards guarding the gate.

"Stop right there, who are you." A guard block her with his spear. "I'm stopping, okay. Plus, can't you see who I am?"

Clair put down her cloak and revealed her face, the guard is shocked silly before letting her pass and send a pigeon carrier to the butler to receive her.

"Miss, the lord ask for you to meet him this instant." The butler greeted her and conveyed the message. Clair nodded before passing the luggage to her maid and went to Duke Lune's study room.