Part 28

Unedited

Third Person POV

Nicholas was waiting anxiously, his foot wouldn't stop tapping against the expensive wooden floor.

What took him so long! He thought as he looked at the door of his office.

He then stood up and started pacing the room back and forth in a circular motion.

He was stopped mid stride when there was a knock on the door of his office.

"Come in!" He ordered, his frustration getting the best of him.

"Alpha." His second in command greeted coming in.

"What happened? Is it true?" Nicholas asked urgently, ignoring his beta's greeting.

The Beta seemed to be a bit hesitated to answer his Alpha's question.

"Speak already!" Nicholas snapped, both angry and frustrated.

"It is, Alpha." The Beta replied Nicholas' his earlier question. "The rumors are true." He clarified.

Nicholas was dumbfounded for a second, his right hand was a bit shaking he had to cover it with his left one to stop the continuous trembles from shooting in his veins. "Are-" he cut himself off and swallowed the lump in his throat before he resumed his statement. "Are you sure?"

"I am, Alpha. I saw it with my own eyes, the whole kingdom is abandoned." He confirmed.

The Beta rushed to his Alpha's side when he saw him losing his balance, but was stopped midway with Nicholas' hand as the latter held onto the armchair next to him to support his staggering body. "How did this happen? What caused her illness?" The Alpha asked in a strained voice.

"It was said that she angered the Shadows which led those of them inside her to retreat from her body." The Beta explained.

Nicholas snapped his head towards his beta. "What did you just say?"

"The Shadows took reign from Queen Jayda." The Beta answered.

"No, before that."

"The Shadows that were inside her abandoned her." The Beta repeated.

"How the hell did they knew about the Shadows that were inside of Queen Jayda?" Nicholas thundered.

"I'm not sure, Alpha, but it's already all over the Realm." The Beta answered.

"What is?" Nicholas asked.

"That the strength of the Queen of the Shadows lies in the Shadows that were inside of her." He replied.

"How did something that was kept hidden and unknown up until recently, suddenly became a common fact?" Nicholas asked no one in particular.

"I found it odd too, how it was all over the place. It was supposed to be a secret." The Beta answered nonetheless, frowning a bit.

Nicholas looked up to meet his Beta's eyes as he straightened up from his leaning position on the arm chair. "Are you sure that you were surprised about finding out?" He said advancing towards him.