Part 14

Unedited.

Third Person POV

Flashbacks (20 years ago).

"Ystn astrif neun, Pridré." (The Master won't like it, my Queen). Purch tried to convince his Queen not to introduce the Shadows to strangers.

"Move, Purch." Jayda ordered the Shadow that was blocking her way back to the Black Forest, the Shadows' kingdom. "They're not a threat, and even if they were we can always dispose of them before they tell anyone." She was using English on purpose, to let the two men know of their fate if they ever break the trust she was giving them.

"Ystn dan?" (What about the Master?) Purch asked.

"Loexin." (I'll take care of it). Jayda replied using the Old Witch language this time.

"Sait, Pridré." (Yes, my Queen). Purch acknowledged as he moved aside.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Carlos and Bren followed Queen Jayda silently and the unknown creature as she lead them to wherever she was leading them to.

At first they suspected the road she was taking them down, to be the one that led to the Dark Forest, but discarded that idea almost immediately.

They thought that nobody in their sane mind would walk to that ominous place, no matter how strong they were, until they stopped at the entrance of the Dark Forest.

The two tried to retreat back, but invisible Shadows that were accompanying the Queen prevented them from doing so.

"Why are you trying to run?" Jayda asked, puzzled as she turned to see what the ruckus was about.

"That's the Dark Forest!" Bren exclaimed.

"Yes, so?" Jayda asked, still supporting the same confused look.

"We shouldn't trespass beyond it's borders!" Carlos answered this time.

"We already passed the borders half a mile back, when the plants ceased to exist and the ground was burnt." She said.

"How come we're still alive then?" Bren asked.

"Because you're with me." She simply said.

"W- who are you?" Both Bren and Carlos asked at the same time.

"Someone the Shadows won't harm." She replied.

"Who are the 'Shadows' you keep mentioning?" Bren asked.

"Creatures that won't harm you, so shut it and come with me before I let you roam the darkness you're about to enter for days." Her warning was meant to be playful but the men took it seriously and nodded comically frantic.

Jayda chuckled at their scared and obedient behavior before she led them past the darkness.

Bren and Carlos were immediately blinded when they went past the invisible door of the darkness, it was as if someone put them in a room with no window and no means to lighten the pitch darkness that was surrounding them.