Part 5: Full Moon

🌕🌕🌕
_________________________________

Rin ran through the woods to meet with the Akatski spy for the Leaf. Even after her days of rest she couldn't sit still, and even urged Lady Tsunade to let her go, just in time for the full moon ironically.

The designated spot for their little trade off was in the desert. Since any Akatsuki member spotted in Fire country would have a squad of ninja descend onto them within hours.

Rin shifted her scarf to cover her mouth and let the rest of the fabric cover her nose. The light cloth which contradicted its dark color made the cool nights in the sand bearable.

Rin pulled her black hair up into a pink ribbon. "Okay," she mumbled pulling out a handwritten note from her back pocket, the full moon giving a soft glow for her to read the coordinates.

42.7952° N, 105.0324° E

"I see you're the replacement." Rin turned around, holding a kunai knife in front of her. The glow of her magic spiking in a messily placed red circle.

He was tall and had black hair that fell across his face. He was obviously stressed, Rin could see the deep worry lines that ran down along side his nose. His lips were pressed into a thin line, and a hand laid limp across himself, only being supported by the Akatsuki cloth.

But his eyes were red like Sasuke's.

Rin put her kunai back up her sleeve. "So you're the infamous brother. Itachi Uchiha." Her own red eyes raked his appearance, taking note of the hesitation marks that ran across his headband.

He blinked. "Odd," he said, the black lines in his eyes shifted into the three red tomes that Rin was familiar with. "You didn't fall victim to my mangekyo sharingan."

"Guess I'm special like that." She grinned  before holding out her palm. "You got the good stuff?" She questioned.

Itachi sighed before reaching in his sleeve, pulling out a black scroll. Reaching forward she slipped it into her own sleeve. "You look a little young to be in the ANBU black ops." He said, a certain sadness being portrayed in his eyes.

Rin rose an eyebrow, "I hear that a lot." She shrugged. "But I don't mind."

"You either have issues or you were recruited because of your genius." He said, staring at the girl with the dog mask. "That's Kakashi-senpais."

Rin tilted her head. "I guess you can say that," she was a wizard after all, her DNA inherently different. "The mask, by the way. He gave it to me."

Itachi gave a blank stare as he watched the girl. "Why?"

"I guess I'm special." She repeated, watching the older Uchiha brother sigh once more.

"You should get out before you end up like me." He whispered, "this is no life for a little girl." Rin blinked and looked up at the countless stars in the night sky.

"You should take your own advice, you only got a most ten years." She whispered, ignoring the cloudiness in his eyes, the greying of his skin and the stench of deterioration. "But if you continue at this rate you could cut to less than half."

"Is it that obvious?" Itachi asked the girl, unsurprised at what she had said. He only received a hum in return, before she turned back to him.

Rin sighed before clearing her throat. "As you know your last contact had been killed by unforeseen circumstances. So there is a new precaution that has been put in place. You are aware of the Yamanaka clan correct?" Itachi gave a slow nod.

"They specialize in memory jutsu correct?" Itachi almost choked when Rin gave out a small "hn," in reply.

"I'll have to change our memories." Rin said. "While Leaf ninja were quick to kill the group who killed the last ANBU here, they didn't know if they had stolen their jutsu or scrambled around their brains. So while we will still know what happened here, certain aspects like conversation or even our appearances will change." Rin dragged out another scroll, this time yellow in color that another ANBU officer had given her, inside laid code that looked like a bunch of squiggles to her, something that Levy would definitely appreciate in studying.

Rin shook her head, trying to rid herself of the thought of her old guild mates before laying the scroll down. "I've never seen a black haired Yamanaka." He commented, referring to their blonde almost white hair that seemed to get lighter and lighter every generation.

"I'm a Dragneel." She said, "Not a Yamanaka." The scroll lay across the space between them, the intricate red ink used covered the frail paper that sealed the chakra within it. "Now follow me," she said, raising the limited chakra that Kakashi had. "I, Tatsu, Usugai, Saru, Hitsuji, I, Usugai, Saru, Hitsuji, Ushi. These are the hand signs. Once done the scroll will burn away and we'll walk away from each other. Within two miles, our memories will be altered. We will have to perform this every time we meet and if we do so on the battlefield, we won't remember a thing." Rin played with her fingers as Itachi stared. "I'll go first." She mumbled.

Itachi watched as the girl stared at the tan sand, the constant dunes hiding them and the occasional blips of Chakra only coming from animals. He watched as Rin took in a deep breath, not knowing what the girl looked like only knowing that she was as calm as she could be. "I, Tatsu, Usugai, Saru, Hitsuji, I, Usugai, Saru, Hitsuji, Ushi." She mumbled under her breath, her hands moving speedily, but the fumble between Usugai and Saru gave away that she wasn't used to moving her fingers. Itachi's eyes narrowed.

When she had finished, the seal glowed and black glowing dragon made out of pure chakra wiggled out before floating in front of her. One of the red barbels that came from its maw touched her mask, before phasing past it to touch her forehead before shattering like glass.

Rin's eyes snapped open as she looked up, the weird fuzziness in her brain making an appearance. "Your turn," she said, looking up at Itachi. She watched him perform the handsigns at an impressive speed before the same dragon came up to touch him too.

Then the scroll burned.

Rin stood and stared as the red flames ate the paper. Dragons and fire, she mentally snorted. Now who did that remind her of. "I guess this is it." She said, watching to moon now lay directly above them. "I'll stay here and spread the ashes."

Itachi watched for a second before turning away from her and walking away. "I'll send a crow when I have more information."

Rin nodded and let the smoke fill the air, crows out of sight and the moon shinning bright.
_________________________________
🌕🌕🌕
_________________________________