Chapter 58: Forest Conversations

Shikamaru threw several explosives kunais to the trees surrounding the circle in a pentagram shape. He layered them several times till all Rin could possibly see were seals from the tree line.

"You think I'm gonna run?" Hidan asked. "You're uh, shadow jutsu lasts about five minutes as I recall. And it's just the two of us now." Hidan's eyes dilated in excitement. He reached to the side to grab a long stake from inside his robe. "YOU MAKE THIS EASY FOR ME BOY!" He screamed in delight.

The silver haired man rushed Shikamaru, his arm extended behind him for the blow. Hidan's wrist flicked as Shikamaru flew back, a cut on his cheek. Licking the blood slowly off of the spike, Hidan's skin changed to what looked like an inverted skeleton.

Rin sniffed the air skeptically. That scent of blood did not smell like Shikamaru. It smelt different. The girl stood away from the scene and jumped up into the trees.

Rin watched from the trees passively as she felt Hidan feed her power. He let out a cackle before stabbing his hand. The blood dropped onto the dirt below them as Hidan stepped in it, drawing a ritual circle with a triangle in the center.

"Oh how I've been waiting for this!" He grinned selfishly. "You from above! Watch as I murder your teammate!" He cackled, sliding the blade higher into his hand for a better grip.

Lifting it up Hidan stabbed himself, the blade producing from his body as the blood dropped onto the ground. The sound of his flesh throbbing against the foreign metal echoed. Shikamaru gabbed the right side of his chest in reflex that made Rin roll her eyes.

Hidan to euphoric on his high grinned happily. "How about that, pain can be so addicting. Isn't it." Shikamaru let out a fake cough as he slowly let out a couple of gasps. His eyes dilated as he peered unto the sun.

The boy fell down onto the ground with a thud.

Hidan let go of the pike still in chest. "How worthless," Rin held back a snort. "Jashin must be disappointed it's already over." On the contrary, she's quite proud of Shikamaru's acting skills.

The silver man looked up and stared into Rin's ruby eyes as she blankly looked down at Shikamaru's "corpse."

"I guess it's your turn." Rin sighed as she pushed herself off the trunk. "But I must say I'm surprised."

"How so?" The girl held out her hand as she picked at the dirt under her nail bed.

"You leaf shinobi, aren't you supposed to care about your own. Comradery and all that?" Rin smirked as she met Hidan in the middle of his pentagram. Not intimidated by her follower. As all Kings had to start somewhere in life, though she found it odd that they started praising her secret name before she came to be.

"Well," she said. "I'll let you in a little secret." The black haired girl looked up into the jashinist's eyes. Distracting him from Shikamaru silently getting back on his feet behind him. "I'm not a leaf shinobi." She shrugged.

For an instant when Hidan peered into her eyes he saw red. Like had never seen red before, it was overwhelming to see. Hidan felt the world speed up and knock the wind out of him. He felt himself fall before the color.

The millipedes crawling around didn't help as all he saw was the rot of red behind them.

Rin blinked letting her eyes fall back to their usual ruby as Hidan fell on his knees. His skin faded back to their natural color instead of the black and white as Shikamaru sliced a big chunk of his head off.

Hidan's headband clattered to the ground.

Shikamaru panted as his hands worked double time to sign for his jutsu. Hidan clutched his neck as the blood squirted from his neck and onto the dirt. Shikamaru's shadow once connected to Hidan.

Rin jumped out of the way, wrinkling her nose when some of it got onto her pants. "WHY!" Hidan yelled, his forehead creasing, "WHY ARE YOU STILL ALIVE!" He growled.

"You shouldn't be standing! How!" Hidan rasped. Shikamaru places the long knife back into its casing.

"It's simple. I fooled you. You thought you killed me but you were dead wrong." Rin snorted from the background as Shikamaru wiped away the blood away from his cheek. "And all that blood that's dripping off of your weapon. It isn't even mine."

"Oh that's right." Rin spoke up from Hidan. "It's that tall guy's with the stitches. What's his name, Kakupoop?" She snickered childishly. Shikamaru gave her a blank stare before turning his eyes back onto the enemy.

Shikamaru pulled out a miniature capsule from his pocket. "This little thing came in quite handy." He smiled, throwing it up in the air and catching it. "Anyway my little strategy played out with Kakashi-sensai extracting your partners blood and while you were distracted I applied it."

"Oh, so you're just a lazy genius." Rin hummed thoughtfully.

Shikamaru shot the girl a look once again. "Thinking we went on the same sasuke retrieval mission a few years back, I think you would know I always have a strategy."

"Sasuke?" Hidan muses knowingly. Rin looked down and glared at Hidan before stomping down onto his injury, pushing him onto the dirt.

Hidan let out an amused chuckle anyway. "You know I'm not that smart but seeing you do it so much, any idiot can figure out the ins and outs of your jutsu." Hidan spit to the side. "I can tell your jutsu isn't as strong as before. It hasn't even been five minutes. But I can already move again!" Hidan gasped, lifting up his hands. Rin watched as Hidan reached for his blade, slowly extracting it from his chest. He dragged his body upwards, then pushed up onto his feet till he stood upright once more.

"Thing is I realize the power and duration of your little jutsu gradually weakens. Each and every time you use it." Hidan grunted as he struggled to pull his arm upright. "Admit it kid the more you use you're jutsu the more weak and feeble it gets! Until you have nothing left! I even venture to guess you're even approaching the limit of your chakra!" Hidan's walk was a slow crawl as Shikamaru fell onto his knees. The shadow that once restricted against Hidan was retracting itself at a snail's pace.

Soon enough Hidan towered over Shikamaru menacingly. Hidan lifted the blade as he cackled the insane look back in his eyes.