Chapter 60: The Next Morning

Rin stood in the Hokage's office, a yawn escaping her lips as the woman smoke. "Well done everyone, but it's not time to celebrate just yet. Not when there are still more of the Akatsuki at large." The girl nodded as she felt her head bob from lack of sleep. Her arms rebandaged in white cloth.

Only to be jolted awake when Sakura started punching Naruto in the head. "At this point he's going to have brain damage." She mumbled as the blonde's limbs flared about. Besides her Kakashi snickered behind his mask.

"As the rest of you are concerned, I order you to take a few days off. Give your minds and bodies a rest." Rin let out a louder yawn and stretched out her limbs, letting the satisfying crack ring through the air. "Dismissed!"

Slowly filing out Rin leaned on to the person who happened to be in front of her, which happened to be Shikamaru.

The sun rising hit their features as he let the girl fall forward. "I can't believe it's finally over." Ino said. A weak "yeah." resonating from Chōji.

Shikamaru stood still for a moment, causing the black haired girl to bump into him. Looking at his profile she noticed a pensive look on his face. "See you around guys." He mumbled.

"What?" Ino questioned looking back at him.

"I'll uh..catch up with you later." He waved already turning his back.

"But your house is this way?" Ino pointed out concerned. Shikamaru sighed as he looked up at the sky.

"There's something I gotta do." He said, Rin's eyes glowed a faint red as she turned her feet to follow.

"Don't worry," she smiled, pulling her hair out from its low ponytail. "I'll keep an eye on him." Linking arms with the boy she let him drag her away from the scene.

They later arrived at the cemetery where Kuranai standing above Asuma's stone. Rin sighed as she leaned against a tree away from the scene, watching their lips move. She smiled as the boy came to terms with Asuma's death. His speech filtered by the wind but she saw the bright grin on his face when he finally turned towards Kuranai and her unborn child.

She slowly watched with dull eyes as he walked back towards her. A fulfilled feeling in his soul resonated between them. "So," he sighed, looking upwards. "Are you going to explain?" He asked.

Run nodded her head towards the exit of the cemetery. "Come on," she smirked. "I'll walk you home, it smells like death here." The girl wrinkled her nose.

The walk back was silent to Shikamaru's house. "What do you want to know?" She questioned, pulling at the straps around the palm of her hand. "Im kinda on a time limit, I apologize." She smiled, looking up at the sun.

"Your connection to Kakashi-sensei." He stated. "He's your summoner correct?" Rin nodded in confirmation. "How'd he find your scroll, and does that mean you're an ANBU officer?"

Rin wrinkled her nose. "I don't know much about how, but according to Kakashi a woman handed my scroll over. He still has it if you really want to make a contract." She smiled, "for the price of your soul of course." She snickered at the blank look on his face, whether from exhaustion or if he was that annoyed. "And like how all summons function, I am technically a ninja for the leaf as long as the contract is ended so, yes I am in the ANBU. However, my loyalties are towards to Kakashi," she stated.

Shikamaru nodded silently, watching the girl out of the corner of his eyes. "Where do you come from?" He questioned, stopping right in front of her. "You're..." he struggled to put the words together in a way that wouldn't offend the girl.

"Human?" Rin asked. "I'm from Fiore, Earthland. An alternate universe if you will. Where powers like mine," the girl held her hand out to see black whisps of pure magic dangled from her fingertips. "Are common. My brother," she smiled fondly. "Is a fire dragon slayer. While my soulmate is a light dragon slayer. They use the elements around them to slay any dragons. Unfortunately they vanished years ago." She said.

"And the name King?" He questioned, causing the girl frown slightly.

"Ah that," she said. "Well when I die, the magic I used in my life will consume me and bring me to another realm of the afterlife. Where I will rule as a King." She said. "It's part of the reason why I'm helping in the collecting of Akatsuki members."

The path they took had ended as they had come to Shikamaru's home. The wooden panel showing wear but it felt warm. "I see." Shikamaru said, stuffing his hands in his pockets. Quite looking like Kakashi. Rin rolled her eyes before fishing out a plain silver zippo lighter with his initials carved at the bottom.

Taking the boy's hand she plopped it onto Shikamaru's open palm. "Before he left." She said, referencing Asuma. "We had a little chat in the seconds before he took his last breath. He wanted you have this." The girl said. Shikamaru looked down at Rin and teared up, water flowing from his cheeks before he covered his face with his arm.

A silent thanks echoed throughout the air.

Rin jumped down and bent her knees before Sasuke's bed. "Yo." She smiled, holding up a peace sign, a closed eye smiled on her face.

Sasuke growled, taking away the stack of books from her hands. "Everyday you become more and more like Kakashi-sensei." He growled.

"Ew," Rin wrinkled her nose. "He's old." Sasuke rolled his eyes before flicking the girl's forehead. Unaffected she stood up once more and fixed her cloak.

"You're going?" He questioned, placing the books on the stand next to his bed. Rin smiled down at him. "Yeah, I got more jobs to do before I can nap,"

Sasuke rolled his eyes before she disappeared, leaving him in the cold, barely lit room. A white note taped to the books in a code that only the two knew of.

Confirmed for 0600hours.